Here's a GREAT free eBook "Digital Art Photography for Dummies"

This infringes on copyright. Reported to mods.

The inside cover of the "book" reads "no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means." Also, the uploader is obviously not the author, publisher, or any other copyright holder. Along with that, theiris no notice of consent, or authorization from the copyright holder. Hence, it is copyright infringement. Fin.

Perhaps you should take a few moments to familiarize yourself with ISSUU's copyright and faq's before you send up the red flag.

Using your logic then over 90% of their content is copyright infringement.

Don't think so...

I am not going to read through every website entirely, it is only common sense that copyright material w/o permission, posted on a website by someone who is not the owner looks like infringement.

Then your opinion is just that, "an opinion." It is inappropriate to pass judgment IF you have not even taken time to become educated as to a sites copyright rules and regulations.

Read before passing judgment.

Where in any of my previous posts did I say it was an opinion? It is an accepted idea on this forum that all copyright materials be they photos or else, should be suspect unless posted by the owner.

The inside cover of the "book" reads "no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means." Also, the uploader is obviously not the author, publisher, or any other copyright holder. Along with that, theiris no notice of consent, or authorization from the copyright holder. Hence, it is copyright infringement. Fin.

Second that motion.

Do we have a third?

Unless Matthew Bamberg or Wiley Publishing uploaded this, it is infringment.

Oh, and here is the copyright page from ISSUU about their uploading policy:

"Issuu takes the rights of intellectual property owners seriously, and complies as a service provider with all applicable provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. As stated in our Terms of Service, Issuu enforces its policy barring the upload of infringing material onto the Issuu Service. We respect the rights of copyright owners and we ask that you do the same.

(1) Do the Issuu Terms of Service require me to give away my copyright on the documents I upload to Issuu?
No. Under U.S. law, every written work is covered by a copyright. You own the copyright to a work by creating the work or otherwise acquiring the copyright to the work from the creator of the work. When you sign up for an Issuu account, you agree to adhere to the Issuu Terms of Service. In order to upload a work onto Issuu in compliance with the Terms of Service, you must either (i) own the copyright to the work you are uploading or (ii) have authority from the copyright owner to upload the work and grant a license to Issuu to include that work on the Issuu service. The Terms of Service further state that when you upload a work to Issuu, you grant to Issuu a license to use and distribute your uploaded content. This eliminates any doubt that Issuu's use and distribution of your content through the Issuu service does not infringe your, or anyone else's, copyright. This is only a license -- you (or the person who authorized you to upload the content) still hold the copyright to the content you upload. You can revoke Issuu’s license to use the content you upload by removing your content from Issuu.

(2) What is copyright?
We strongly encourage Issuu users to familiarize themselves with copyright law before creating and uploading documents. We offer the following links to copyright law resources for informational purposes:

That one is pretty important ^

U.S. Copyright Office Copyright FAQ
Chilling Effects Clearinghouse Copyright FAQ
(3) What type of materials are copyrighted?
Copyright is the right of an author of a creative work to prevent others from using that work, including copying it. Copyright can cover almost any creative expression (including a book, comic book, writing, or picture). If you did not create a work and do not have the consent of the copyright holder to publish or use it, your use of that work may be unauthorized.

(4) What happens if I upload documents for which I don’t own the copyright or have consent of the copyright holder?
If you upload documents to which you don’t own the copyright and don’t have permission to upload, you risk getting sued by the copyright owner. If we are notified that a document you have uploaded on Issuu infringes someone’s copyright, we will notify you and take down the document you posted. This is required by law. If you persist in uploading unauthorized content, we will, pursuant to our Repeat Infringer policy, ban you from using Issuu.

(5) What about fair use?
The "fair use" doctrine is a defense to copyright infringement in the United States that allows the reproduction of a work for certain limited purposes such as criticism, commentary, parody, news reporting, research and teaching. Fair use is a complicated doctrine, and it is an open question whether a particular use of a copyrighted work constitutes fair use. You are responsible for your contributions and may be liable for money damages if it is determined that you wrongly assumed that your use of certain content constituted “fair use”. We offer the following links to various copyright law resources relating to the fair use doctrine for informational purposes:

U.S. Copyright Office Fair Use
Stanford University Libraries Copyright & Fair Use
Chilling Effects Clearinghouse Copyright and Fair Use
(6) Further Information Regarding Copyright Infringement:
The length of a copied document does not matter, nor does the amount you may have copied; even a copying a small portion of a document may cause you to be liable for copyright infringement.
A copyright notice (i.e. ©) is generally not required for a work to be protected by copyright law.
Distributing documents containing copyrighted content without the copyright owner’s permission is a violation of copyright law even if you give the document away for free.
There is no exception for private copying in U.S. law. Even if you share a work with only a small group of your friends or family, you could still be liable for copyright infringement.
You can be liable for copyright infringement even if you give attribution to the owner or Author of the copyrighted content.
Even if you used your creativity to make a new document that contained another person’s copyrighted work, you may be liable for copyright infringement.
Even if there are documents on the Issuu site similar to the one you uploaded, you may be liable for copyright infringement if you upload an unauthorized document.
The only way that you can know for certain that a document does not infringe anyone else’s copyright is if you created the entire document yourself (including any images) without using anyone else’s copyrighted work."

via page: http://issuu.com/about/copyright

The book says it. You can't get past that.

~Michael~

Last edited:
Finally, someone with intelligence! :cheer:

Oh well....noobs.....:shrug:

Um, this is like a $30 book, I don't think they would just throw it up on the internet for free...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back