Hi folks! I'm new to advanced photography

cp24eva

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all! I'm happy to become a member of this forum. I will be making my first big purchase soon and delve deep into the world of photography. I don't have much experience outside of your normal point and shoot cameras. Not sure if I should ask my beginners questions here or in the beginners forums. Any advice? I don't have a DSLR camera yet, but that's one of the reasons I joined the forum...to get your take on it.

Glad to be here and look forward to the knowledge.

Welcome. What DSLR are you considering? (shh...Nikon is the way to go....shhhh....)

I was aiming more towards the Nikon D5100 actually. Or the new d3200. Thoughts?
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Looking at about 800 for starters.

I'd go with the D5100 over the D3200. The extra pixels in the D3200 are meaningless.

Yeah, I was leaning towards the d5100 already. Just need some worthy glass to go with it.

Welcome aboard.

I'd go with the D5100 over the D3200. The extra pixels in the D3200 are meaningless.
I wouldn't say they are meaningless...but more doesn't automatically mean better image quality.

Yeah, I was leaning towards the d5100 already. Just need some worthy glass to go with it.

If you already know something about lens choices, and if you can get a good deal, then go for the better glass up front. Be aware, however, that most retailers already have specially-priced packages including a "kit" lens or two, which will at least get you started, and you can always upgrade later.

Welcome....from a fellow newbie in a very similar situation. I went with the Nikon D3100....after a couple months of owning my first DSLR I am loving it!

Skip the D3100.

Don't be scared about used bodies as well OP. Go with reputable online (B&H ftw :) retailers. A used 5100 w/35mm 1.8 would start you off nicely. If you are able to save up a little more d90 are underestimated bodies, welcome to the forum and good luck.

I went with the d5100. Love it so far. I just need to learn how to take better pics. My starter pics are ok. I also bout a 55-200mm VR (DX) which works nice so far.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back