Hi from Nebraska

crazyjimmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi every one just found this forum looks very interesting, I am a newbie with a Nikon D40x with a nikkor 18-55 af-s 1.35-5.6g ed lens and a nikkor 55-200 af-s 1:4-5.6g ed lens and a nikkor-h 1:3.5 28mm lens and a nikkor 100-300 1:5.6 lens and a vivitar 285 flash. It looks like I can learn alot here so I am looking forward to learning with you people

Jim

Jimmy,

Your being new to TPF, maybe somewhat new to photography, you wouldn't know, as many more experienced people here don't even seem to know about this.

Your Vivitar 285 is an old film era flash...

Your Nikon D40X is a modern digital camera, essentially a computer with a lens.

Some of the older flash heads are not compatible with DSLR's due to their excessive trigger voltages, and when used on camera, can potentially fry the circuits in your camera body. I am not saying it will, just saying it could. Why risk doing such damage to your DSLR if there is any doubt at all ???

There is a website (see link below), listing by flash Mfg and Model #, and stating whether they are or are not deemed as being compatible or not.

Your Vivitar 285 is considered to be NOT SAFE for use on a DSLR. I would strongly recommend your not using it for fear of potential damage to your camera.

Might be better to use that flash ONLY off camera, or to sell it and get something that is compatible with your camera.

Not meaning to be a busybody, just want for you to keep your DSLR working properly for many rewarding years of photography.

I can refer you to a very inexpensive flash that will do a good job for you, and is deemed safe according to that list.

Just FYI - here is a link to that website I refer to.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Welcome to TPF, and,

Happy shooting!

thanks patrick I checked the voltage before i used it and it was 6.4 if i remember right and i have read alot using it. but i will check out the website and double check. trust me if i think it will hurt my camra i will not use it but thank patrick for looking out for me

Jim

getting very very deep :lol:

Seems like you have some older stuff and some newer stuff. One thing about the Nikkor 100-300mm f/5.6, a lens from the heydey of Nikon manual focusing. That lens has the potential to be an outstanding closeup tool for you. I have one of those lenses which I bought for a very good price years ago, and am pretty happy with the optics.

Here is the reference page, from world renown Nikon lens expert Bjorn Rorslett's extensive lens review pages,along with a quote: Zoom Lenses For Nikon 'F' Mount: Telephoto

"The real surprise of the 100-300, however, comes when you put a close-up lens onto its front threads. I employed my standard Nikon 6T (reverse-mounted) and was absolutely floored by the high quality close-ups produced by this combination. High image sharpness and contrast, perfectly flat field, and virtually no CA are features you associate with an expensive Micro-Nikkor, not a makeshift combination of a achromatic attachment and a consumer zoom lens. Food for some real thoughts."

When Bjorn says things like "perfectly flat field" and "virtually no CA", you can take it to the bank. The Nikon 6T and a filter reversing ring are not that expensive, and Bjorns decades' worth of experience in the photomicrography and macro fields make this reccommendation/rating of the 100-300 Nikkor AiS really stand out as a strong endorsement for using this setup,especially with flash illumination, for high-quality close-up shots.

hay derrel where can i read more about reverse mounting lens at

Jim

Most reactions

New Topics

Back