Hi,i I hope Ive been improving....I've been trying very hard. c&c please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any camera in that price range will need sunstantial help from PP to compensate for its lack of abilities, such as sharpness, color, lighting, etc. Its not that you can't get a great shot here and there but it'll be a struggle. I hope you prove me wrong. :thumbup:

The camera you ordered is a very cheap camera, with not-so-good reviews, not very impressive sample photo's, and it does not offer a manual mode setting. Everything on it is automatic, so you will not be able to learn anything on it about aperature, shutter speed, ISO, white balance, ect.

So really... it's absolutely no different than the camera you already own.
Really, the review I read said it was an excellent camera for its price with manual settings? Are you sure? If so, Ive been stinged......:(
And you haven't been stinged you just didn't research what you bought properly.

No, I have. Trade me - which I bought it off (brand new) said that all settings were manual or automatic.

Easy to use, powerful automatic shooting modes, including the set-it-and-forget-it PENTAX Auto Picture mode, take the guesswork out of great photography.

Taken from: PENTAX OPTIO RS1000 BRAND NEW BULK BUY HOT HOT!! for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

I don't see where it says anything about manual controls and such... Sorry.

Firstly, that isn't the auctioner I bought my camera off. Hence, different descriptions.
Secondly, I don't know why just about every person on this forum likes to contest everything I say- If I wasn't sure I simply wouldn't reply.
Next time you research into something maybe you should do a more thorough job, Like for instance finding out whether (and of course there would be!) or not other people place auctions and different information about the stuff they are selling.
This thread was meant to be about my photography skills not my camera settings/abilities......
Thankyou.

Easy to use, powerful automatic shooting modes, including the set-it-and-forget-it PENTAX Auto Picture mode, take the guesswork out of great photography.

Taken from: PENTAX OPTIO RS1000 BRAND NEW BULK BUY HOT HOT!! for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Firstly, that isn't the auctioner I bought my camera off. Hence, different descriptions.
Secondly, I don't know why just about every person on this forum likes to contest everything I say- If I wasn't sure I simply wouldn't reply.
Next time you research into something maybe you should do a more thorough job, Like for instance finding out whether (and of course there would be!) or not other people place auctions and different information about the stuff they are selling.
This thread was meant to be about my photography skills not my camera settings/abilities......
Thankyou.

I will be honest, I haven't been on here in a long time and have no clue who you are. So from an objective point I can probably say most people contest what you say at first to be helpful. As we have seen with the camera thing, people here WANT to help you. They want to help you learn grow. But you lash back like a child, not only that but an annoying, attention hog of a child, who is rather ignorant. A simple "Oh thank you for pointing that out, I will have to think about returning that camera" would have sufficed and been not only the proper response, but an intelligent response as that camera isn't any different then what you have now. Honestly return that camera and save up. Then pick up a Nikon D3100 (or 3000) and a 35mm 1.8.

Also, this site, and mainly this page would be a great and helpful read/watch. He has some projects with just those two pieces of equipment as well as a lot of tutorials.

Two videos I recommend. (His entire channel really)

Photography, Digital Camera & Lightroom Tips — FroKnowsPhoto » Beginners

NOTE: I don't expect you to learn anything from this and lash back in an unnecessary manner, if so do not expect a response. I put some time into putting this together for you.

Also CC on the main photos, to be honest they are garbage. As in I would have had a gut churning feeling and then deleted them garbage. What can you do to make them better?
-Better Camera
-Take your Time

And also, some just don't have the eye for photography. Now that may be hard to hear if you really love photography, but it is true. Some people just cannot take good photos, I mean hell look at myspace. DUCKLIPS

Last edited by a moderator:

Thankyou.

I will be honest, I haven't been on here in a long time and have no clue who you are. So from an objective point I can probably say most people contest what you say at first to be helpful. As we have seen with the camera thing, people here WANT to help you. They want to help you learn grow. But you lash back like a child, not only that but an annoying, attention hog of a child, who is rather ignorant. A simple "Oh thank you for pointing that out, I will have to think about returning that camera" would have sufficed and been not only the proper response, but an intelligent response as that camera isn't any different then what you have now. Honestly return that camera and save up. Then pick up a Nikon D3100 (or 3000) and a 35mm 1.8.

Also, this site, and mainly this page would be a great and helpful read/watch. He has some projects with just those two pieces of equipment as well as a lot of tutorials.

Two videos I recommend. (His entire channel really)

Photography, Digital Camera & Lightroom Tips — FroKnowsPhoto » Beginners

NOTE: I don't expect you to learn anything from this and lash back in an unnecessary manner, if so do not expect a response. I put some time into putting this together for you.

Also CC on the main photos, to be honest they are garbage. As in I would have had a gut churning feeling and then deleted them garbage. What can you do to make them better?
-Better Camera
-Take your Time

And also, some just don't have the eye for photography. Now that may be hard to hear if you really love photography, but it is true. Some people just cannot take good photos, I mean hell look at myspace. DUCKLIPS

I don't really know what to say. I really feel you have just taken a swipe at me by criticising my personality without really knowing me. Also, Ive been photographing for only a couple of months properly- So I don't know but I would consider myself to be at such early stages to be able to get away with crappy photos. Doesn't necessarily mean I don't have ability. I don't know what to take from this?
People say they love or hate my photos.....Which people do I listen to?
Im awfully confused.
I'm not going to bother taking a swipe at you but I will say thankyou for taking the time to include videos.
Also, Can everyone stop judging my personality and really just keep it about the photos.
Im not here for a DR PHIL episode...Honest.
I appreciate all responses in correlation to my photography however.
Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people on TPF have digital SLR’s, although a number also have point-and-shoot cameras as backup or as “lazy” cameras. DSLR’s give the photographer control over ISO, white balance, shutter speed, aperture, focal length (through interchangeable lenses), and various lighting options (onboard flash, off-camera flash, stobes, studio lights, etc.). As such, most people are here at TPF to learn how to use all these variables to their advantage in producing esthetically pleasing images.

Think of image-making as having three supports: technique, composition and subject. Technique is about the camera, the post-processing, the light arrangement. Composition is the conscious choice of the photographer in picking the arrangement of elements in the image, deciding on what to emphasize, looking for the right perspective, and trying to fit all this together in a way that is visually appealing and tells a story. The subject is what’s on the other side of the lens, and includes the subject, the foreground, background, ambient light, movement (or not), time of day, and even the seasons. Successful images have a solid base in all three areas.

Images also have an audience. An audience composed of family members will have a very different reaction of images of the kids, compared to an audience of strangers who have no clue of the identity of the people you are photographing. Pretty much all the people at TPF are strangers to each other, although as in any on-line community, we get impressions of the personalities behind the aliases. Since strangers, by definition, know next to nothing of your personal history, environment and situation, they can only judge the images you submit by the same criteria they use for looking at any other images that they are not personally involved in. That is, is the image interesting? Is it “attractive”? Is it esthetically pleasing? Is it visually striking? An image which is very compelling to a photographer may be completely lost on a “stranger” audience if the clues to the context are not present in the image. It is considered to be an admirable skill to have the photographer include enough clues in the image for us to be able to construct a narrative or story without using any other “outside” information.

Acquiring the skills needed to produce better images and understanding how to influence your chosen audience is a process that takes much time and effort. I’ve been at it for over 40 years, and I’m still learning new stuff every time I pick up my cameras. The more I learn, the more I see how much more there is to learn, and the more I can begin to appreciate the artistry of the masters. Elsewhere, I referenced a book that claimed that to achieve mastery in any field, one has to spend at least 10,000 hours learning and perfecting the craft. There is a lot of truth to that idea. Keith (KmH) has a thread about learning the fundamentals. As in every field, learning the fundamentals gives you the basic tools you need to ply your craft. In the photography field, the fundamentals include exposure (which your camera doesn’t allow you to control), lighting, and composition.

Finally, there is the matter of how to interact with an on-line forum. We don’t know you, you don’t know us. You create the persona that we see online, through your postings, your questions, your responses, your images. That’s all we know of you. So, the reaction you get is directly related to the personality you reveal through your postings. If you want people to be helpful, you have to “give” a little – explain what you’re trying to do, what you’ve tried and where you are stuck. You will get (this is the internet, after all) responses ranging from the clueless, to very pertinent. Again, this being the internet, you take what is good and toss the bad. You also have to give back to the community – contribute your thoughts to others asking for critique, participate in discussions. People who just want to talk about themselves are… boring.

So take this any way you want. If you want help in improving, make it clear what you want help with, and then learn to accept (and filter) the advice you get. If you want to be accepted as a member of the community, participate in threads other than your own. If you want to tap into the incredible amount of knowledge that there is in this forum, learn to ask for it in a way that makes people want to help you. Otherwise, you will be written off as a crank, or troll.

From your past reputations on the board, I find it really hard to take you seriously at the slightest.

In all truth I really just want criticism, I don't want conversations about anything that isn't about photography.

Oh hey, researching cameras with the appropriate abilities isn't about photography? Don't come back, tell us you want to talk about photography and then streamline the s%^& out of your conversation. You want honest feedback? You're getting it. Consider yourself lucky that anyone's giving you another chance.

Thankyou.

...Yes, clearly we should do a better job. :er:

Last edited:
Fool the intrawebs once, shame on you. Fool the intrawebs twice, shame on the intrawebs. Fool the intrawebs THREE times...... hilarious tolling ensues.

I loves the intrawebs.
They's fantastical.

You want to learn photography. So you trade one crappy, very cheap camera for another crappy, very cheap camera. One with no manual controls and no room to grow. What do you expect to learn from that? How can you learn anything about camera controls, when you have a camera that does everything for you?

If you'd quit whining long enough to actually pay attention to things others have told you, you'd realize there are members here with lightyears of experience beyond you, that could actually teach you a thing or two that's of value.

Right, people, let me say this:
Even though when "new photographer" still was "KarissaBest" she claimed to have acquired some sort of fame all throughout Austalasia (that's how she put it) for her photographic art, we now know that she's only just a very normal person who takes photos. With a very normal, all-automatic, point-and-shoot camera. And that she ordered another very normal, all-automatic, point-and-shoot camera about which she thought it'd offer her more possibilities at changing settings. Most likely so for economic reasons, and for having been mislead by the description of the seller.

Just let's all keep that in mind: there probably isn't very much money there to start out with, but maybe a bit of naiveté as to photographic equipment. There is an interest, and unfortunately not too obvious a humbleness.

All this given, plus the fact that neither camera is among the best to learn things with, what IS it we can help "new photographer" (aka KarissaBest <- talking about humbleness... erm) with?
Well, mostly how to use ambient light (outdoors!) and how to compose. Along with suggestions as to what she best takes photos of to begin with so she'll learn.

So please all try to help her in these respects, and we might come to the point where we can say that in the end it is not the camera that takes the photos, it's the person behind the camera! For you can produce good photography with Lomo cameras, too, or with camera phones, or with all-automatic point-and-shoot cameras. All you need to have learned before you even try is where and in which situation you can make such cameras take good photos for you. You can't expect low (artificial) light situations to render the best outcome with the cameras I mentioned, so when you're thus limited by what camera you can work with, you need to leave such situations be! For example.

No GIMP is going to make photos taken in impossible (for the camera to cope with) situations any better! As we all know. PP is for good photos to become better photos (or more your own if you mean to express something specifically with the post processing you choose, but before you can try to express that, you need to know what it is you want to express).

Maybe when morning comes to New Zealand and our "new photographer" is up and about again, she'll find this and think again and start all over again.
Let's give her that chance. I know that it is her third chance, but I want for her to have it here. Can we all agree on that?

For such new chance I shall lock this thread yet again, so she can start in an all new thread, maybe with some first photos taken with the new-same-as-old camera for us!?!?
That ok, Karissa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back