High ISO Woodpecker

icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It was getting towards dusk this evening and I was messing around with auto-ISO on my 7D just to see if it works (upper limit of auto-ISO is 3200). I'd never played with it before and I had never really tried the upper limits of ISO on the camera at all. A Gila Woodpecker landed on my feeder and, even though it was kinda dark, I turned off auto-ISO and cranked the ISO to 12,800 just to see what happened. I really didn't expect much.

7D Handheld, Sigma 100-300mm f/4 @ 276mm
1/640 sec @ f/7.1
ISO 12,800
A little brightening in LR2, sharpening in CS4, and noise reduction in Noiseware Pro

It's not beautiful, but it is ISO 12,800

IMG_3358-Edit.jpg

Ian
I have a photo that is remarkably similar to this shot. I have to try and find it. I think I shot it with a P&S.

Just for interest's sake, here it is after cropping before sharpening and Noise Reduction

IMG_3358up.jpg

Ian
I have a photo that is remarkably similar to this shot. I have to try and find it. I think I shot it with a P&S.

I'd love to see it! I love woodpeckers.

Hi Icassell,

Well caught and well done with the editing. Pity about that distracting red object on the left. Maybe straighten the pole and then crop out the object I referred to? Background nicely blurred.

Hi Icassell,

Well caught and well done with the editing. Pity about that distracting red object on the left. Maybe straighten the pole and then crop out the object I referred to? Background nicely blurred.

Nah, but thanks! I have many good images of this guy with good composition, etc.. The only reason I posted this particular image was for the high ISO interest.

I couldn't come close with my 30D

As far as usable photos go, I wouldn't push the 50d past about 2000, but you really have to nail the exposure to come up with anything decent... on ISO800 or below, I don't even use noise reduction.

I use NR (Noiseware Pro) pretty much all the time towards the end of my workflow. It starts to make a difference as the ISO creeps above about 400 if I make large images. I routinely shoot the 7D at ISOs greater than 1000 as I like shooting birds in early am and late pm and my 300mm is an f/4 -- which goes to f5.6 when I add the 1.4X. I don't see myself using this ISO 12,800 often, but I wanted to experiment. What really was interesting to me is the auto-ISO function (which works up to ISO 3200). I don't have that on the 30D. I'm not a big one for using anything "auto" (I tend to shoot in manual mode), but I figured that it might give me one less thing to worry about when I'm chasing an elusive target. It actually works quite well.

I'm told that CS5 has better noise reduction built-in which might obviate the need for Noiseware Pro.

I can't figure out how to use auto iso in manual mode... it just goes to 400 and stays there. I would love to use auto iso mode and not worry about setting the iso, as it is the least of my worries, compared with f-stop and shutter speed... especially when birding.

I can't figure out how to use auto iso in manual mode... it just goes to 400 and stays there. I would love to use auto iso mode and not worry about setting the iso, as it is the least of my worries, compared with f-stop and shutter speed... especially when birding.

Birding is exactly what I wanted it for too. I've never used a 50D, so I can't help there. I did find out by accident that it won't take you above 3200 on the 7D. Is there an ISO 400 limit on auto-ISO on the 50D?

hm... since I don't have the owners manual, I did some webbing, and I think that autoISO on manual does indeed mean ISO400. shame. Maybe it will work in one of the other modes...

Most reactions

Back