High Key Tone Osprey and Tern, thoughts?

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The lighting was really flat this morning so I decided to play around. Went with spot metering and +2 EC going for the High Key tone look. Curious what everyone thinks? Plus a bonus great egret in flight with a relatively slow shutter speed of 1/500th.. comments welcome... :)

Osprey - High Key Tone 6_4 by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

Common Tern - High Key Tone 6_4 by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

Great Egret 6_4 by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

Nice photos, I really like the last. Not saying the other two are not great because they are. I love the detail in your photos, I have yet to get that.

Im not really a fan of the first one, just because his camera left wing looks "lost" but the pose is FANTASTIC. Number two works much better for me since even though its all white, it doesn't seem blown out completely. All of these are really awesome though! I hope someday I can reach your caliber of skill

Interesting with high key shots. The Egret works ;) I took a whole series of White Spoonbills heading toward me at one time and then right over the top of me, probably about 20-25 odd shots. All of those shots went in the bin to be honest. White birds on white clouds I decided then, simply don't work :) It was a good lesson at the time. Exposure nightmare.

All the best Chris and you made the best out of it you could in those conditions, its not easy.

Danny.

The wing does get lost in #1 in the whites but there is something about that shot that I like.To me it looks like is was painted with small fine brushes or something like that.Maybe I am the odd one here but I get art painting from it and not shot with a camera. So #1 is my fav from a artistic standpoint.I like #2 and 3 as well but # 1 For me.

Kris, these are very good. I love the high key images. This is not something you often see with birds or any wildlife for that matter. That last of the Great Egret in flight is also a winner for me.

WesternGuy

I agree with David on this one, #1 is by far my favorite. In fact it was even more pleasing to me as this is not the usual flavor of osprey shots we are used to from you. I know many people don't like blown out stuff in images, but I think it works positively for some photos under special circumstances. Gorgeous shot Kris. :)

Yes...for me too and I am not an odd person (REALLY????!?!?!?!?!) I just :heart: :heart::heart: #1. And #2 second and #3 is not high key? Just a tad overexposed? #1 and #2 are not the usual flavour you give us normally with your shots yet still very nicely executed...

Thanks everyone!, Yes they are on the "artsy side" I think #1 would be cool on a T-Shirt, lol.. I just found out #2 is a least Tern, that's why the damn thing was so small and hard to catch in flight. The egret is a normal shot, the whites might be a touch hot, in LR they didn't show any clipping, I will have to check again..

The first two just don't appeal to me at all ( personal taste), but I'll never get tired of a great Egret (or any other bird ) in flight.

The first two just don't appeal to me at all ( personal taste), but I'll never get tired of a great Egret (or any other bird ) in flight.
Yup it is a love/hate thing lol. I knew it would get mixed results, but thought it might be an interesting debate...

I like the smoothness and soft look of #2.

Number 3 reminds me a lot of some photos I have taken, maybe cause I have shot a ton of white egrets in flight with very oof backgrounds.

Most reactions

Back