Higher Gig Cards

JSD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The manual for my Nikon D300 suggests using a maximum 8 gig card . "Others have not been tested". The tech support on nikon.com said the same thing. Has any one used a higher gig card without problems? Why does Nikon say this?

Thanks, JSD

I am not sure about the Nikon but I use a Canon and bought a 32g card and it would not work

I am not sure about the Nikon but I use a Canon and bought a 32g card and it would not work

What does the owners manual for your camera say to use?

I use a 4gig SDHC, and an 8gig SDHC and it works great--tons of room.
I find using too big of a card my photos get unorganized and piled up.

I was told by the company who sold me my camera ( adorama ) that anything higher than a 16, usually isnt compatible. And my best bet was an 8 Gig SDHC...

and i think in order for your camera to take an SDHC... it has to sate it somewhere in the manual or on the item...some dont take the Hc cards.

The manual for my Nikon D300 suggests using a maximum 8 gig card . "Others have not been tested". The tech support on nikon.com said the same thing. Has any one used a higher gig card without problems? Why does Nikon say this?

Thanks, JSD
They guarantee the cameras performance with the specific cards they list in the users manual (San Disk and Lexar), not all 8 GB cards.

Use any other cards at your own risk. Like they say..."Others have not been tested".

To state it another way: Nikon has tested the D300's software to the point they know it will reliably write to an 8 GB card. If you use a higher capacity card and have problems, don't look to Nikon for resolution.

I like the idea of having two smaller size cards (2 4 gig instead of 1 8 gig) so if something happens to the card A. I haven't lost everything, and B I have a backup on hand.

Thanks, JSD
They guarantee the cameras performance with the specific cards they list in the users manual (San Disk and Lexar), not all 8 GB cards.

Use any other cards at your own risk. Like they say..."Others have not been tested".

To state it another way: Nikon has tested the D300's software to the point they know it will reliably write to an 8 GB card. If you use a higher capacity card and have problems, don't look to Nikon for resolution.

Thanks KmH, What is the problem with using a higher gig card?

True. But then there's an apostrophe in what I wrote :lol: The joys of grammar.

If I were you I wouldn't use anything larger than an 8 GB card. I personally use cards no larger than 4 GB. I have an 8 GB but it's for backup only. If your fancy high capacity 32 GB card malfunctions or if you lose it you're out 32 GB of photos. Bummer. The smaller capacity cards are cheaper anyways.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back