Hiking with a Tripod

nBenita

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everybody, i was wondering about something.
I hike allot, and it is one of the reasons im getting a D40, but im wondering, how comfortable is hiking when u have to carry around ur Tripod?. especially if u have to do it by hand... are there any original solutions out there?.
and another thing, i know from my film Minolta, that one of the most annoying thing about traveling with a camera, is that it keeps bumping on ur chest, are there any straps that also have a quick release clamp for ur chest or something? and how does the straps u get with the D40 feel on ur neck?
- thx allot for all ur help, Nir =]

The nikon strap is very comfortable in my opinion. Buy a new more padded strap if you not comfortable with the one supplied by nikon.

Hiking with a tripod is not very comfortable. Maybe you could buy (or if you already have...) a backpacking sack to fit all your stuff in including a tripod. If it doesn't fit maybe you can carry it horizontally on your back or something. Be creative. You are only uncomfortable if you make yourself that way.

yeah i thougt of attaching it to the back pack in some way, but i thougt maybe theres something clever, or a bagpack that is designed for that purpse... thx =]

Or you could take your favorite walking stick and put a 1/4 x20 stud in the top of it and attach a ball head w/quick release to be used as a monopod.

There are combo wood/machine thread screws made for other purposes available.

I normally carry my camera with the strap like a messenger bag, with the camera resting on my front. Stops most of the bumping, and it's still fairly easy to bring the camera up from rest.

And by carrying it this way, the strap doesn't even touch my neck :)

Kin

Lots of options here.

Firstly, there are many camera bags/backpacks that are designed to carry a tripod on the outside. Check out Lowepro

Next, have a look at one of these straps http://www.thephotoforum.com/tpfstraps/index.html they are great. Much better than the OEM straps.

When hiking, I like to use a walking stick/pole etc. I have a cheap Monopod which can serve as a light duty walking stick...and of course a camera support. You might consider a high quality monopod or even a good walking stick with a camera mount. Leki has a model with a built in camera mount stud.

Also, check out mini tri-pods, gorilla pods, or those cushion pods that take up a lot less room and weight - they can be placed on a ledge or the ground for shooting - all you need is a level stabilization...

I have a very comfortable backpack, a Osprey Stratos 32. It has these toggle loops up top that I hang my tripod on and loops below to keep the legs from jumping around. I traveled all over Europe with it.

Great for hiking with tripod, but it's not the best camera backpack. No padding and separators like the lowepro's and kind of involved to take on and off to switch lenses.

So it all depends on how much you switch lenses and such.

As for camera strap I have the op/tech. Really comfortable and you can unclip the majority of it for when the camera is on a tripod.

for real hiking with a full backpack on your back there is no ideal solution, unfortunately. I enjoy several days/over one week hikes with 20 to 30 kg of non-photographic equipment and food on my back. That means most of the camera gear (3 kg) are attached on my front in a small bag, while telephoto and heavy things go into the backpack. my tripod is then simply attached at the outside of the backpack.

There is a place on my tamrac backpack for a tripod. I hike up alot of 6-8 thousand ft mountains sometimes when I go hiking.

how comfortable is hiking when u have to carry around ur Tripod?

I use a mini-tripod sometimes when hiking...only about a US foot long when compacted. Not useful for all shots, but I can usually set it up on a flat boulder or something. Next to purchase are those flexible/bendable pads+legs that wrap around objects in the environment (are they called gorilla pads?)

When I'm hiking I tend to do it mostly during daylight hours so lighting is generally pretty good - infact often too bright to get those "killer" shots.

As a consequence shutter speeds are normally pretty reasonable so I often just carry a monopod on one of my backpak (rucsack) straps - camera always goes in the rucsack in its own bag, safe place to be if I happen to slip/take a tumble !!

I also have a tripod that I take if I'm "on a mission" & have something specific I want to photograph - things get a bit heavy then though so its not that often. The Gorillapod etc is a good suggestion too

simon

None of you have learned the "dog leash technique"?? I'm shocked!!!!

Place loop around base of lens. Let leash drop to ground. Step on leash. Pull upwards until tight. :) Shoot away!

I hike a lot. I put the tripod in the backpack as suggested and put the camera on my shoulder. Around the neck with a heavy lens can take its toll after a few miles. I have a D-Ring connected to my backpack strap, just on top my shoulder. I usually hook my camera strap into this to prevent the camera from slipping from my shoulder. If you need to climb in areas and the strap length allows, you can put your backpack waist straps around the camera strap to help prevent swing.

In low light areas, where I have to walk with the tripod attached to the camera, I use a strap on my tripod over my shoulder. I tend to kneel for pictures, so the height for my tripod is not normally fully extended.

I tried a binocular harness for a while. Worked pretty well, but on my shoulder, I'm good all day with both hands free.

I just bought a new backpack, the Lowepro CompuTrekker AW and it has a really well designed mount for the tripod on the back. I have a pretty heavy Manfrotto 190xProB tripod and the straps are really nice and padded so it hasn't given me any problems so far.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back