HILARIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMOMENT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I may not be an obedient student in many eyes but that is because many of my teachers have opposing views/methods. Who are my supposed to listen to? Who is right? I have some people telling me to practice shooting at slower shutter speeds and some telling me not to. Others tell me to bump up my ISO while there are people sending me PM tutorials about how to use your flash properly instead of creating noise with your ISO. I have a crowd telling me to shoot at 5.6 and some telling me no, don't do that! LOL..my head is spinning! I have TOO much info that is conflicting. Is it so surprising that with something as foreign as photography is to me at this point and with so many different and negating pieces of advice, that I'm all over the place? Okay...(can of worms opened) who is really the expert on here? J/K!

Guys, I'm just looking to enjoy and maybe be somewhat successful with photography as a hobby. I have a very peaceful life and if anyone knew me in real life, I think it would be so interesting because the INTERNET really distorts a person. (but why, that's my territory; psychology.)

I feel like I'm applying everything but everything implies so many different opinions. I don't know which way is up. As I stated earlier, I have even got wonderful and helpful pm's about certain issues but one negates the other.

Before you start pointing fingers at me, the newbie who is HUNGERING FOR KNOWLEDGE AND DIRECTION, perhaps you should look at one another "the experts" and how opposing your advice can be. I'm not saying you all need to be in agreement, this is not photography school. I am saying, don't be personally offended if I'm not applying your personal advice. I'm trying. LOL. I'm not ignoring anyone's advice. I am just trying to make sense of so much of it that is so conflicting. I feel like I can't even get into shooting still life because I just have no interest in it and therefore, my "eye" doesn't see anything potential in it. I may need to work on this for learning purporses. However, I do have a career already so if I end up being sucessful in photography, that is wonderful but not essential. I'm intrigued by it and find it quite theraputic!

For those of you who have tried to keep these threads civil; THANK YOU! For any of you who feel personally offended if I am not taking your advice well then, I'm sorry but it has become a question of who'se advice to take.

I really do come in peace guys. I love photography and appreciate the guidance and time you have given me. If you feel like you need to lash out on me because I am not obeying well, go for it, but I don't think it is necessary. Instead of being so hostile, give me or ANYONE the benefit of the doubt. I have a lot of WONDERFUL people offering help but a lot of you have opinions that are so varying!

So, Mleek; this is what I have learned in the past month.

(deep breath...and gooooo)

Slower shutter: more light in, more room for error in sharpeness

lower aperture numbers (aperture opened up wider) ...more light in/less DOF)

DOF: dependant upon aperture/focal length

metering: instead of seeing everything in color see it in shades of black/white/gray. Find your middle gray.

Af-C basically means auto focus but you choose your focal point and the camera then continues to keep that point in focus even if your subject moves.

Af-S. (or servo) basically you lock in your focus and shoot. It does not continue to keep your subject in somewhat focus which is why if there is to be any movement, you need to recompose.

composition: don't cut off limbs, rule of thirds, don't fill your frame with your subject (at least all of the time because your margin for error is greater.) STEP BACK!

Pop up flash is harsh, use a diffuser or (according to some) forget the flash, bump up your ISO. According to others, use a speedlight and bounce or don't bounce the light. Some say keep ISO as low as possible and bring in other light. (hence my speedlight)

Shutter speeds: For a moving subject (even just a little movement) shoot no slower than 1/200 and maybe even 1/400. However some have told me to work on camera shake and try 1/60 and keep that ISO down.

Pay attention to your historgrams.

If you shoot in RAW than you can adjust more in pp. White balance has to do with temperature (obviousely).

Focus your AF point on the nearest eye of your subject. (when shooting a portrait; not written in stone)

Unwritten rule; for every number of subjects you need to shoot, make sure the aperture is that +1.

(head still spinning but slightly enjoying it now because I have had a glass of wine :sexywink:)

As a teacher, I personally find that belittling, chastising, and becoming angry at even the most frustrating of students, only slows the learning process even more. (but that's just in my experience) ;) I've found a lot more success with true CC and lots and lots of patience. If for some reason I don't think my student is a right fit for my classroom, well then we work with that. In this scenario, just don't respond.

P.S. I'm still astonished by the anger that is displayed in so many of the threads here. Isn't photography supposed to be about capturing life's beauty? It seems as if we ALL seem to forget the one common "thread" that links us together; our love for a shared art.

Furthermore, I am simply saying this not because I feel the need to defend or define myself to an internet forum but merely to illustrate to everyone that these online forms of communication/connection can be so decieiving. I have little to no personal conflict in my life if ever. My time is spent with dear family and friends and if I'm not with them I am trying to volunteer in my community to help those in need. I enjoy teaching and have loved my experiences with adolescent psychology and issues. I have taken a break from it to be home with my 4 kids; 2 step and 2 birth. Since I've been home with them I have taken a real liking to preserving these precious and irreplacable moments through photography. Although I am only just about 29, I have lived a lot because I went to college when I was 16 and for other reasons that are beyond internet sharing.

Oh boy, this is probably going to get ugly.

Oh no, really? again? Can I not say/do anything right on here? I give up! Seriosuely....WHITE FLAG WAVED ...AGAIN! I soooo tried to lighten it up.

Maybe, maybe not? I'll say this, the masses have been more tolerant of you than some others I have seen... So you do have that in your favor :)

...Who are my supposed to listen to? Who is right? ...
All of them, none of them. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' in photography. There are certain ways, which are generally regarded as 'the best' or 'most appropriate' to achieve certain results, and there are certain definites, such as, "smaller apertures result in increased DoF", but at the end of the day, photography is almost exclusively an artistic pursuit, and no one can really teach art. Take all of the different suggestions, recommendations and bits of advice, and apply them. Decide what you like and what you don't. Use those you like, disregard the rest. Simple really.

I may not be an obedient student in many eyes but that is because many of my teachers have opposing views/methods. Who are my supposed to listen to? Who is right? I have some people telling me to practice shooting at slower shutter speeds and some telling me not to. Others tell me to bump up my ISO while there are people sending me PM tutorials about how to use your flash properly instead of creating noise with your ISO. I have a crowd telling me to shoot at 5.6 and some telling me no, don't do that! LOL..my head is spinning! I have TOO much info that is conflicting. Is it so surprising that with something as foreign as photography is to me at this point and with so many different and negating pieces of advice, that I'm all over the place? Okay...(can of worms opened) who is really the expert on here? J/K!

Guys, I'm just looking to enjoy and maybe be somewhat successful with photography as a hobby. I have a very peaceful life and if anyone knew me in real life, I think it would be so interesting because the INTERNET really distorts a person. (but why, that's my territory; psychology.)

I feel like I'm applying everything but everything implies so many different opinions. I don't know which way is up. As I stated earlier, I have even got wonderful and helpful pm's about certain issues but one negates the other.

Before you start pointing fingers at me, the newbie who is HUNGERING FOR KNOWLEDGE AND DIRECTION, perhaps you should look at one another "the experts" and how opposing your advice can be. I'm not saying you all need to be in agreement, this is not photography school. I am saying, don't be personally offended if I'm not applying your personal advice. I'm trying. LOL. I'm not ignoring anyone's advice. I am just trying to make sense of so much of it that is so conflicting. I feel like I can't even get into shooting still life because I just have no interest in it and therefore, my "eye" doesn't see anything potential in it. I may need to work on this for learning purporses. However, I do have a career already so if I end up being sucessful in photography, that is wonderful but not essential. I'm intrigued by it and find it quite theraputic!

For those of you who have tried to keep these threads civil; THANK YOU! For any of you who feel personally offended if I am not taking your advice well then, I'm sorry but it has become a question of who'se advice to take.

I really do come in peace guys. I love photography and appreciate the guidance and time you have given me. If you feel like you need to lash out on me because I am not obeying well, go for it, but I don't think it is necessary. Instead of being so hostile, give me or ANYONE the benefit of the doubt. I have a lot of WONDERFUL people offering help but a lot of you have opinions that are so varying!

metering: instead of seeing everything in color see it in shades of black/white/gray. Find your middle gray.

Af-C basically means auto focus but you choose your focal point and the camera then continues to keep that point in focus even if your subject moves.

Af-S. (or servo) basically you lock in your focus and shoot. It does not continue to keep your subject in somewhat focus which is why if there is to be any movement, you need to recompose.

composition: don't cut off limbs, rule of thirds, don't fill your frame with your subject (at least all of the time because your margin for error is greater.) STEP BACK!

Pop up flash is harsh, use a diffuser or (according to some) forget the flash, bump up your ISO. According to others, use a speedlight and bounce or don't bounce the light. Some say keep ISO as low as possible and bring in other light. (hence my speedlight)

Shutter speeds: For a moving subject (even just a little movement) shoot no slower than 1/200 and maybe even 1/400. However some have told me to work on camera shake and try 1/60 and keep that ISO down.

If you shoot in RAW than you can adjust more in pp. White balance has to do with temperature (obviousely).

Focus your AF point on the nearest eye of your subject. (when shooting a portrait; not written in stone)

Unwritten rule; for every number of subjects you need to shoot, make sure the aperture is that +1.

(head still spinning but slightly enjoying it now because I have had a glass of wine :sexywink:)

As a teacher, I personally find that belittling, chastising, and becoming angry at even the most frustrating of students, only slows the learning process even more. (but that's just in my experience) ;) I've found a lot more success with true CC and lots and lots of patience. If for some reason I don't think my student is a right fit for my classroom, well then we work with that. In this scenario, just don't respond.

P.S. I'm still astonished by the anger that is displayed in so many of the threads here. Isn't photography supposed to be about capturing life's beauty? It seems as if we ALL seem to forget the one common "thread" that links us together; our love for a shared art.

Draaaaaa---muhhhhhhh.

Beginning a brand new post after a 6- or 7-page post of yours went awry...that's considered very bad form. Utterly,simply,unequivocally bad form.

tirediron, that is what I thought. I have been experimenting with so many different pieces of advice but I posted a few pics refelcting a specific piece of advice but negating another and all hell broke loose. lol. I thought this was supposed to be fun and experimental. I'm pretty sure no life is dependant upon my pictures right now. It's confusing because I am self teaching and using so much of TPF for answers but it's difficult because all the advice is opposing.

mc..really? Oh my! I have been a part of probably only 3 or 4 forums total in my life and I have never seen this. Clearly I have to thicken my skin and or get more experience. On the other hand, I barely have time for one forum so I think adding more forum experience is simply not in my future. I much prefer real life realtinships but do APPRECAITE all the lovely help everyone has offered; given it wasn't the responses that insinuated that I was ignoring their advice. I just don't know who'se to take first. Maybe I will post ALL od my experimental photography shots trying out ALL the different advice and tips I've gotten so that no one feels as if I am slighting them.

I suspect that as you learn more, you'll find in fact that in many (most?) cases the advice isn't actually contradictory, but right now some of it may seem so because you're not familiar enough with the finer points.

You continue to pound it upon everyones head , what a professional you are, how smart you are and whatnot.
You continue to proclaim you skills in psychology , yet don't see the error of your own thinking, but expect to tell everyone else the error in theirs.
This is why I laughed at you when you became self proclaimed Dr. Phil, in another thread. But I don't expect you to understand this.
I also don't think you'd make a very good psychologist. For the very reasons cited.
In short, you're full of yourself. No one is more pleased with you, than you. Lets all talk about you, because you ARE your favorite subject.
Can you not see this?

The problem with you , on this forum, is you expect people to tell you how.
They can't. They can only make suggestions. They are not there under the same light, the same condistions, with the same equipment, sitting in your living room , photographing your kids.
They do not see the same composition you see or the many ways it can be done or the obstacles that hinder it.
Now having said that, when the final image comes out THEY CAN tell you it sucks.
And they do. Believe me. If anyone knows, I do.

Let me appeal to your sense of psychology.
Are you going to let this stop you?
I didn't. But I don't expect you to be like me. But if you decide to go my direction, you won't let any of this stop you from achieving your goal.
You'll take what they say, come back with a stong image and shove it down their throats.

6 months from now, you'll laugh at all this if you continue with a camera.
By that time , you won't have to ask questions about exposure, ISO or depth of field.
You won't even have to do it their way. You can do it your own way.

There are many helpful people on this site. The moderation is good, or else I'd have been banned by now.
Even Tyler has some symblance of sportsmanship. As astonished I was to find this out.
As much as I dislike him and vice versa.

They are trying to help you. But I think they want you to try to help yourself.

And for the love of God, take your photography further than posting images of your kids.
Yeah thats nice and everything, and capturing the moments of your kids life is a good thing.
But over and over again?

I appeal to your sense of psychology.

And look...........I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. I'm just a little rough around the edges.
And I'm arrogant. Self centered. Handsome and modest. Even though it's very hard to be modest when you're as good looking as me. But alas modesty is my most redeeming feature. Can you tell? Oh and I'm rich too.
So you see.......I know what's wrong with me.
Do you know what's wrong with you?

I take all advise with a grain of salt, try it if it seems to work for me then I use it, Remember in photographhy every situation requires its own set of settings, so some advise may work in one situation and not in another. what works for some may not work for others, Practice makes perfect, use whatever advice you get simply as a guid. Best of luck to you and dont get discouraged. Keep shooting

tirediron, that is what I thought. I have been experimenting with so many different pieces of advice but I posted a few pics refelcting a specific piece of advice but negating another and all hell broke loose. lol. I thought this was supposed to be fun and experimental. I'm pretty sure no life is dependant upon my pictures right now. It's confusing because I am self teaching and using so much of TPF for answers but it's difficult because all the advice is opposing.

I kinda glanced through your other thread... It seems to me like you're seriously over-complicating everything and forgetting stuff you've read. Like not pointing a flash in your subjects face. Just an observation.

I'm somewhat opposite of you... I'm not terribly concerned with all the technical right now outside of the basics... I'd rather train myself to see things that people will respond too.

AMOMENT said:
mc..really? Oh my! I have been a part of probably only 3 or 4 forums total in my life and I have never seen this. Clearly I have to thicken my skin and or get more experience. On the other hand, I barely have time for one forum so I think adding more forum experience is simply not in my future. I much prefer real life realtinships but do APPRECAITE all the lovely help everyone has offered; given it wasn't the responses that insinuated that I was ignoring their advice. I just don't know who'se to take first. Maybe I will post ALL od my experimental photography shots trying out ALL the different advice and tips I've gotten so that no one feels as if I am slighting them.

Nobody is getting upset because you didn't take their advice per se. Everybody is basically telling you the same thing. Like the shallow DOF thing - even if you are shooting at f/5.6 you DOF can still be really shallow - distance is what really matters. At f/5.6 with your subject 5 feet away you are only going to have about half a foot of DOF which is pretty similar to the DOF you would have at f/1.8 and 10 feet away. And noise really isn't that bad - its no worse then a portrait with the flash in the face. Noise can be reduced somewhat in post but you can't get rid of the flash in the face look. Also by not exposing properly ISO 100 pictures will probably have more noise than a picture that was exposed properly at ISO 640. Raising your exposure in post will introduce noise so if you have noisy pictures at ISO 400 that's what it's from.

Everybody else was just saying take it slow - master one thing first then move onto the next.
Kerbouchard gave you some fail safe settings to use with your speedlight to get good results but from my understanding you want to learn and maybe someday do it in a professional capacity. If so, then use those settings but you can also get really creative with lighting. Your photographer friend is great to have but don't take her word for everything either - most people that give you advice (MLeek for example) has been doing this for most of their lives. Everybody has their own opinions and their own way of doing things.

Your last thread - the last 4 pages of bickering from today was not even aimed at you. We were all bickering amongst ourselves ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back