Hired Retouching- Collab with Rob Woodcox

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Making a living as a photographer isn't easy, so sometimes I have to supplement my income by retouching other photographer's work. This week I was hired by photographer Rob Woodcox to retouch a few photos from a recent shoot of his. I only did the skin work; he had already done the color toning on the photo and left the rest for me to polish up. Rob and I are going to be collaborating on a few projects this Summer, and we're also teaming up to host some shooting and retouching workshops this Summer starting in Portland Oregon and hopefully touring the states and maybe out of the US as well. I'm really excited to get that started!

Side note: I'm making a video tutorial this week that I'll be putting on youtube, with a free download of my workflow action. The action sets up all of the dodge and burn layers (dodging is literally 95% of my retouching process) and the adjustment layers I normally use to edit a photo. The action doesn't change the photo, it just get's it set up so you can make your own changes. TPF will be one of the first places that I'll share it.

To clarify, the photo was done by Rob Woodcox, I was hired for the skin retouch. Many photographers collaborate with other artists, so I feel I have a right to share this here as I had a part in it's creation as well.
_edit_priya_beforeandafter_by_danostergren-db52n26.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work.
I love that tree she is in front of, it looks like a tulip tree of some sort.
I look forward to watching your YouTube video, I know it will be great!

I like your retouching because it's not overdone, and it blends in seamlessly. I, too, am interested to watch the tutorial!

I like your retouching because it's not overdone, and it blends in seamlessly. I, too, am interested to watch the tutorial!
Thank you. I'm trying to find a balance between not overdoing it and still having a polished look.

oooooh niceeeee

Nice work, and I find it fascinating that a professional photoshoot is becoming like movie production, with professional collaborations and outsourced post processing.

Perhaps in tbe future they'll be no model? Teams of skilled CGI experts, animators, toners and retouchers will create the perfect image?

Great scene although the highlight on the top left corner of the face looks a tad too bright. Cheers

Nice, looking forward to viewing the video.

Nice work, and I find it fascinating that a professional photoshoot is becoming like movie production, with professional collaborations and outsourced post processing.

Perhaps in tbe future they'll be no model? Teams of skilled CGI experts, animators, toners and retouchers will create the perfect image?
Many of the top photographers have been outsourcing things like that for many decades. It is fascinating, and I really enjoy working on that level. When you collaborate with others who are more skilled in certain aspects of photography than you are (for example, Rob is a much better story teller with his images than I am, but I'm a much better retoucher), you get really amazing results compared to just working on your own. He and I have been talking about doing quite a few collaborations this Summer just to figure out how we can possibly monetize certain skills of ours and see how we can utilize them in team environments. I'm so blessed to have a best friend who is also a really good photographer lol.

Many of the top photographers have been outsourcing things like that for many decades. It is fascinating, and I really enjoy working on that level. When you collaborate with others who are more skilled in certain aspects of photography than you are (for example, Rob is a much better story teller with his images than I am, but I'm a much better retoucher), you get really amazing results compared to just working on your own. He and I have been talking about doing quite a few collaborations this Summer just to figure out how we can possibly monetize certain skills of ours and see how we can utilize them in team environments. I'm so blessed to have a best friend who is also a really good photographer lol.

Yes, must be great to work with creative, skilled partners. I also saw an article in a pro photographer magazine (browsing in an airport newsagents) about how a successful fashion photographer is now branching out into directing movies. He said his core skills were communication and people management, and this is what's needed as a Director.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back