Hit it hard! - Genuine "Gambiarra" [Feedback Wanted]

Valls

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here in Brazil we have a way of making things work the way they weren't really supposed to, we call it "Gambiarra".

I was at this friends' and we decided to shoot some action portrait, using his punching bag and some mag/chalk. The problem was: I wanted a two lights setup! One of my speedlights has a 'slave mode' that allows it to be triggered by the camera's pop-up flash! But my other cheap and old speedlight doesn't... Lucky me, it was a dark night!

I then set the camera to a 2s exposure, pressed the shutter release, ran towards my friend with the old flash in hands and triggered the old flash manually, as a Key light, so it would set off the slave flash (the backlight).
Now I bought a radioflash set :) haha

_MG_5158.jpg

Might have missed the focus a bit, but I like the result!

Body: Canon 70d
Lens: 50mm f1.8
Shutter: 2s
Apperture: f2.8
ISO: 100
Key Light: An old Meike flash
Back Light: Yongnuo 565 IV (or something like that)
Edit: Adobe Lightroom
PS: The lens flare wasn't placed post-photo! Its due to the flash :p

Hope you like! Cheers!

Nicely done; goes to show that unique and interesting images can be created without a million dollars worth of fancy gear!

Nicely done; goes to show that unique and interesting images can be created without a million dollars worth of fancy gear!
Thank you for the kind words! I do hope that someday I'll have the best fears and have fun with it, cuz it's fun! But I'll always keep that in mind! Photography isn't all about gear :)

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Great shot. You captured his power in a very evocative way. My criticism of this shot would be the flare over his face though.

Great shot. You captured his power in a very evocative way. My criticism of this shot would be the flare over his face though.
Thanks a lot!!
I had a terrible struggle with that! I love and hate it! hahah I love that I got a flare, I hate that it was on his face! I do have a few other shots that didn't have the flare at all, but I ended up liking this one more, i guess! at least for now...

Thanks a lot!!
I had a terrible struggle with that! I love and hate it! hahah I love that I got a flare, I hate that it was on his face! I do have a few other shots that didn't have the flare at all, but I ended up liking this one more, i guess! at least for now...

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes we have to overlook technical imperfections when the overall emotional impact of the shot is so strong. I used to have that particular lens, so I know how badly it tends to handle flare, and it doesn't have the most aesthetically pleasing lens flare effect either. However, the fact that you chose this shot despite that technical imperfection shows that you have a strong artistic vision that will only get better with time and experience.

I do like that in this particular shot the flare is aaaaalmost reminiscent of the lens flares you get from anamorphic cinema lenses though.

Thanks a lot!!

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes we have to overlook technical imperfections when the overall emotional impact of the shot is so strong. I used to have that particular lens, so I know how badly it tends to handle flare, and it doesn't have the most aesthetically pleasing lens flare effect either. However, the fact that you chose this shot despite that technical imperfection shows that you have a strong artistic vision that will only get better with time and experience.

I do like that in this particular shot the flare is aaaaalmost reminiscent of the lens flares you get from anamorphic cinema lenses though.
That is really motivating, specially coming from such a master as yourself! I appreciate!
Anamorphic cinema lenses are increeeeeedibly expensive in my country (like, more than anywhere else due to abusive taxes), unfortunately, but some day I'll get my hands on them along with a cinema camera! I love the effect and videomaking is my second passion! buut, untill then, I might get away with some not so pleasing but still pleasing 50mm flares hahaha
Again, thanks for the feedback! [emoji109][emoji109]

Thanks a lot!!

That is really motivating, specially coming from such a master as yourself! I appreciate!
Anamorphic cinema lenses are increeeeeedibly expensive in my country (like, more than anywhere else due to abusive taxes), unfortunately, but some day I'll get my hands on them along with a cinema camera! I love the effect and videomaking is my second passion! buut, untill then, I might get away with some not so pleasing but still pleasing 50mm flares hahaha
Again, thanks for the feedback! [emoji109][emoji109]

I appreciate that you're so graceful about receiving feedback. Sometimes that really doesn't go over well here.

@DanOstergren Ohwell, people are strange at times... they ask for feedback but what they really want is to be praised! I like feedback! :)

From someone who has yet to even try a portrait.... I thing it's great, but, like Dan, find the reflection on the face a bit distracting. I read the thread and understand why you went with it. Nice work!

From someone who has yet to even try a portrait.... I thing it's great, but, like Dan, find the reflection on the face a bit distracting. I read the thread and understand why you went with it. Nice work!
Thanks Pete! By the way, I meant to post another photo from the same session but without the flare before but I completely forgot.. Your comment made me remember it! So here it is without the flare:
[edit: I posted without the photo! lol]
_MG_5149.jpg

My eternal struggle between with and without the flare / with and without the amazing face expression!

Thanks for commenting!

You go with the face expression. I like the arm striking the bag. In this one he looks like he's driving right into the bag. I like this one.

I like without the flare as well, sorry but to me the flare makes it unusable.
Excellent shots and with limited gear, I tip my hat to you sir.

You go with the face expression. I like the arm striking the bag. In this one he looks like he's driving right into the bag. I like this one.
Thanks a lot Pete! :) :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back