Hmm

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do they attach the tripod threads into the bottom of the camera? I was putting my battery grip on my Canon 80D and this question popped up in my mind. Is it somehow attached to the inner frame work of the camera, or is it just glued in? How often do they come out?

It's normally embedded in the bottom plate of the camera. In consumer-grade bodies this is usually carbonate, and in higher-end bodies, magnesium.

I'm guessing the 80D is polycarbonate? Is that strong enough to stand up to tightening and untightening things over the years? I tend to over tighten things but not to the point where it's stripping bolts.

If you frequently alternate between hand held and tripod, use a quick release plate which stays on the camera all the time. This, at least, reduces the forces on the tripod socket.

The EOS 80D is a mixture of polycarbonate and fibre glass according to Canon. The tripod socket is designed the take the strain of the camera with a longish lens attached so is quite strong, but racking the thread up tight is not a good idea. It needs to be tight enough but no more.

I had an arca swiss plate on there, which is now on my battery grip. Was worried tightening up the battery grip until the wheel moved no more was too much.

That shouldn't be a problem. If you have the finger strength to torque the tripod socket out of the baseplate with that finger-wheel, you should be in a different line of work! ;)

Well now you've given me a goal. What do I win if i succeed? lol

You get to take your camera apart to see how 'they' attached the tripod socket.

I'll report back :) lol. I've been thinking about getting an L bracket for my camera/battery grip. I see a kirk one is 180$. Are there better alternatives?

The only part you should worry about is the turning wheel on the battery grip. Doing it up tight is good; but my 400D has a battrygrip (own brand) which can't come off. The gears inside can slip and lock - although in my view once you've got a battery grip on it likely will never come off again in practical terms its not a downside (I also use a wrist strap that ties into the battery grip and camera body so an extra reason I don't want to faff with taking the grip on and off).

If you've an arca swiss plate chances are that the attachment point should last you the life of the camera at the very least (at least up to one or two shutter replacements). Esp since with the arca system you basically don't remove the plate on and off regularly.

To the original question, It's is inserted when the part is injection molded.

I'll report back :) lol. I've been thinking about getting an L bracket for my camera/battery grip. I see a kirk one is 180$. Are there better alternatives?
I don't see an L bracket listed at Kirk for the 80D with the battery grip. Come to think of it, I don't see one listed at RRS either. The issue with the battery grip is that there will be flex between the body and the grip. It's unavoidable. I got around that with my 5DII because the Kirk L bracket had a second mounting point to the camera strap lug, securing it to the body and the grip and making the camera as stiff as a 1 series body. IIRC, Kirk is the only one who does that.
You may want to contact Kirk or RRS to see if they have plans to release an L bracket for a gripped 80D. While RRS didn't make one for a gripped 70D, Kirk did, and it had an attachment at the strap lug just as the one for my old 5DII did, which makes it a very stable platform. You should shoot them an e-mail to see if one is in the works, or if the 70D unit would work.

Yes, somewhat like that. But one that wouldn't get in the way of the screen swiveling.

Buy the base plate only. You cant change the physical dimensions of the arca swiss plate. The side plate may or may not get in the way, but if it does on one it will on all. You might write RRS and ask the if it interferes or not. Or if you scroll through the photos it shows the backside of the body with the L Plate and the screen pulled out to the side.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back