Holga, Brownies, Pinhole and any other kind of Lo-Fi

Oops, all I'm getting is 'error'. And a lousy picture in an ad...

Weird, didn't check. here's a repost.

Kodak EC 100 FP4 D76 stock.

Kec100-1007e2s.jpg

Holga 135, 2008 Fujifilm Neopan 1600 B & W. HC110, Rapid Fix, Epson V800

Hidden Landscape
View attachment 152871
This shot has really significant vignette.
They all do. Don't know how to edit it to make it softer and less dramatic. I may pick up another one. I bought this one at a garage sale for a buck.

All Holgas are going to vignette - some will do so more strongly than others, but they'll all vignette.

Holga 135, 2008 Fujifilm Neopan 1600 B & W. HC110, Rapid Fix, Epson V800

Hidden Landscape
View attachment 152871
This shot has really significant vignette.
They all do. Don't know how to edit it to make it softer and less dramatic. I may pick up another one. I bought this one at a garage sale for a buck.

Vignette removal in Lightroom has become _incredibly_ simple. As in, incredibly simple, and good too. It's easy to create a Lightroom Preset that can correct poorly-performing lenses with a one-click "neutralize vignette" preset for each specific lens. I recently made a vignette removal preset for my old 500mm f/8 Reflex-Nikkor (mine is from the early 1970's), which has a pretty fair amount of corner darkening, so I created a "No-Vign- 500/8" preset, which completely evens-out my frames shot with that lens. Of course, removing that signature mirror lens fall-off makes the lens lose some of the easily-identified character that lens has been associated with for a long time, and I expect the same would be true if one were to 100 percent remove the Holga lens light fall-off.

I dunno...In this shot, the severe corner darkening reminds us it's film, and looks sort of vintage, sort of reminds of that this is a film shot, made with a lo-fidelity imaging system...I think it's a bit too much vignette, yet still, the photo has an old-time appeal to me. Many times very old images made with a view camera that was shifted too much for the lens's covering circle would have severe fall-off, to pure black in fact. Or, when the wrong lens hood was used, corners would darken. And so on. I dunno...vignette is what it is, a reminder that the REAL world meets photographic process, and at times there will be telltale clues of how an image was actually formed with real equipment that might not always function at the theoretical best possible level, and so, I like vignette as a reminder of the challenges we can face when making pictures.

Last edited:
Hm. In this case it looks like vignette is caused not that much by light fall of, but by insufficient lens covering. I am using a number of low fidelity cameras, but effect that strong I produced only once, when I used too small lens hood.

Hm. In this case it looks like vignette is caused not that much by light fall of, but by insufficient lens covering. I am using a number of low fidelity cameras, but effect that strong I produced only once, when I used too small lens hood.

Holgas are very inconsistent, and yes, sometimes the natural vignette of the plastic lens really is that strong.

Yes, agreed. Timor, you totally "get it"!

Most reactions

Back