Holga, Brownies, Pinhole and any other kind of Lo-Fi

Time to ad something new to the thread.
This time picture taken with Imperial Reflex on Acros 100
By the fence #2.jpg
I achieved extremely fine grain here. Actually can't find the grain when focusing under enlarger. Printed on Bergger warm paper.

Saw this when you posted it in another thread. It's really nice!

I never thought of it either until that 3200 ISO film caught my eye. Well, 5 more shots and we'll see if it was a good idea or not ;)

Ha! Wow, only 5 shots left and it still took me almost an entire year to shoot and develop that roll of 3200 in the Holga.

Well, it turns out it was not a very good idea. The night shots were waaaaaay too dark and shaky as well, and the daytime shots weren't too bad, but very low contrast and grainy. I'm sure this was partly the development as well. I developed in Caffenol, as usual, and according to standard instructions, but I have a feeling the 3200 is going to need some special treatment. I'll have to do more research before I shoot the next roll, and I also will not be using it in the Holga again!

Here's pretty much the only frame I could kinda sorta salvage. The rest were just too dark or shaky or soft. And I don't even mind soft pictures if they work, but these...didn't work :(
rs Gazebo.jpg

Too bad. Perhaps the Holga wasn't too happy with the ISO 3200 stock or Caffenol wasn't a good match, definitely worth more trials. Nice winter scene though.

It is different frame from that film. I didn't want to post the same image twice.
Your winter image is fine for me. Grain there feels very much alright. I know you love caffenol, maybe as an experiment should you substitute washing soda with borax. You know, the one for laundry ? 20 mule ? Borax usually promotes finer grain.

Now that this thread is up again, and it's Oct 31, here's one from a 30's Hawk Eye folder

View attachment 110736

Backyard Lurker
Isn't it nice ? It is. But wait ! Is this double exposure ?

Thanks timor

Hawk eye with FP4, dark except for the garage side door bulb, educated guess with help of a meter of 30-40 sec @f22. Opened shutter, walked over and stood at door for 20 sec, went back and closed shutter, lucky on the guesstimate.

Too bad. Perhaps the Holga wasn't too happy with the ISO 3200 stock or Caffenol wasn't a good match, definitely worth more trials. Nice winter scene though.

It's possible that 3200 can do some good things in a Holga, but I probably should have tested the film out in different, more controllable cameras before I started playing with it. I do have another roll and I'll see what I can do.

It is different frame from that film. I didn't want to post the same image twice.
Your winter image is fine for me. Grain there feels very much alright. I know you love caffenol, maybe as an experiment should you substitute washing soda with borax. You know, the one for laundry ? 20 mule ? Borax usually promotes finer grain.

Hmmmm, I might try that. Good to know!

nice one limr, and a good subject to showcase the Holga's unique lens artifacts.

Thanks :) Once I got the hang of the camera, it became easier to see good "Holga subjects" that play up those artifacts to get a good shot.

Good one Leonore ! Ha ha, my style to shoot ! Lens up and get in the view, what interesting.

BTW, how do you mix your cafenol ? Maybe I should try it with the borax first. What are your times for ISO 100 and 400 ?

Most reactions

Back