Holy HDR Attempt Batman!

its not that we are telling you to stop trying HDR, its that we're telling you you didn't do a good job on it.. so keep trying.. HDR (or tonemapping) is not as simple as putting the photos into photomatix and clicking generate, you need to play with the settings a lot to get it perfect.. the best HDR shot I ever did, took me about 3 hours to perfect.

also the more photos you have (same photo, different exposure) the easier it is to get a good looking tone mapped image, because the more exposures, the more highlights photomatix has to work with.

again, i repeat, no one is telling you to stop trying HDR, we're just telling to you pick your battles.. find a good subject, shoot many different exposures + and -, and then take the time to work on it in Photomatix, don't just take the image they generate, and then play with the sliders in photomatix to make it better.

good advice in here.

also, there is an HDR sub-forum with more discussions and postings.

do a flickr search for HDR too...take some of those great ones, and see what it is that gives them the look you want. i agree with you...there is some sick car HDR out there...

keep trying.

and is there dust on your sensor?

its not that we are telling you to stop trying HDR, its that we're telling you you didn't do a good job on it.. so keep trying.. HDR (or tonemapping) is not as simple as putting the photos into photomatix and clicking generate, you need to play with the settings a lot to get it perfect.. the best HDR shot I ever did, took me about 3 hours to perfect.

also the more photos you have (same photo, different exposure) the easier it is to get a good looking tone mapped image, because the more exposures, the more highlights photomatix has to work with.

again, i repeat, no one is telling you to stop trying HDR, we're just telling to you pick your battles.. find a good subject, shoot many different exposures + and -, and then take the time to work on it in Photomatix, don't just take the image they generate, and then play with the sliders in photomatix to make it better.

Oh no, I know no one is telling me to stop. That is just me. I am a perfectionist and now that I know I can't do it, I am going to have to put some serious work into until I post something again because I hate putting up a pic I think is good and then find out that it isn't, but I understand what you are all saying and I know that you are critiquing and trying to help, that is just how I roll :) I did play with the sliders....I just have no idea what any of them mean. Like I said, I need to do some serious work. Hopefully this is one of the things I will learn in school while I am there, I am much better when someone physically shows me how to do something instead of reading it on paper.

good advice in here.

also, there is an HDR sub-forum with more discussions and postings.

do a flickr search for HDR too...take some of those great ones, and see what it is that gives them the look you want. i agree with you...there is some sick car HDR out there...

keep trying.

and is there dust on your sensor?

Yeah there was some dust on it, but I just cleaned it so hopefully that will go away!

I am much better when someone physically shows me how to do something instead of reading it on paper.

There is a time in your life coming, where you won't be coddled, and you will have to learn on your own, and learn how to use the tools available to learn on your own.
Don't mean to be rude, but that comment just really strikes a bad chord.
:meh:

I am much better when someone physically shows me how to do something instead of reading it on paper.

There is a time in your life coming, where you won't be coddled, and you will have to learn on your own, and learn how to use the tools available to learn on your own.
Don't mean to be rude, but that comment just really strikes a bad chord.
:meh:

I am sorry that I have a different learning style. I can learn something much better if someone shows me something. I am a visual learner. I don't need to be 'coddled' I am not 6. This is the reason I am going to school, to get a photography degree and to learn from those who are professionals in the area. Does that mean that everyone who is going to school to learn this is being 'coddled' and needs to grow up? Sorry, but your comment strikes a bad chord with me. :thumbdown:

Cant we all just get along?

Anyways ......

HDR's are just one of those things that we have to try at alot until we get it right.

Trust me my first dozen or so turned out like Sh** before i could get it right. You'll know when you finally get it its just like traditional photography something just "clicks"

Keep it going you'll get it and theres always people on here to help

BTW come of the coolest HDR pics ive seen have been with cars as the subject.

-Dustin

manaheim, that final shot is to die for... how many stops difference between 1 and 2?

manaheim, that final shot is to die for... how many stops difference between 1 and 2?

Thanks! I believe I had 5 exposures total of that scene, and each was 3 "stops" apart (mind you, adjusting shutter, not aperture... I'm actually not certain if a shutter adjustment qualifies as a "stop")

Cant we all just get along?

Anyways ......

HDR's are just one of those things that we have to try at alot until we get it right.

Trust me my first dozen or so turned out like Sh** before i could get it right. You'll know when you finally get it its just like traditional photography something just "clicks"

Keep it going you'll get it and theres always people on here to help

BTW come of the coolest HDR pics ive seen have been with cars as the subject.

-Dustin

There was one in another forum that was of a Mercedes SLK convertible and it was simply gorgeous. I pointed it out to my husband and said 'I NEED to learn out to do that!' and then he laughed at me when I took my car out for a photoshoot the other night. Lol.

Most reactions

Back