What's new

Home/Portable Studio kit for novice/beginner/casual photographers

bywhacky

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 2, 2013
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Location
uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Home/Portable Studio kit for novice/beginner/casual photographers -

I have read through the forum and others, spent weeks of my life (at least it would appear so to my family) watching videos etc and trawling ebay/amazon/wex and more.

Like many my budget is small to start with having already spent what is to me a fortune on accessories and a few one day courses witch have sent by bank card into hiding as I learn more and want to do more.

I have seen lots of kits starting at £100 and up that give some of what I believe I need but not all

Can any one take a look and tell me what is essential what is not and recommend budget minded sources for such


I want to do more pets, portraits and glamor shots



So far I have on my list for kit to get

Soft box with honey comb grid (detachable) possible 2 750w
Umbrella reflector with removable back cover - seen one at £25
Backdrop support with black, white and chroma muslin not vinyl back drops found such on ebay for around £66
hot shoe or hot shoes for flash
and seen some triggers on eBay that look like old fashion flash cubes that have been recommended by a photographer at goingdigital
folding 5 way reflector around 10 -25 pounds

Many thanks for your comments and input folk

__________________
bywhacky's Photostream
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
removed.
 
Last edited:
I have sold a few pics and done courses to improve and learn, so guess sort of semi pro at mo but do not want to spend a fortune whilst developing my skills (no pun intended) at the moment I will be happy to cover my costs as I learn.
 
Ah ok. You said novice/beginner/casual and I replied accordingly.
 
when comes to this type of shots I am
 
It's a good wish list, but here's what I would recommend to start:

1 Studio strobe (not continuous lighting) of 150 watt-seconds or more of variable power, with a built in modeling lamp (this comes highly recommended: Flashpoint II FP320M 150 Watt AC/DC Monolight Strobe FP320M).

1 Umbrella, convertible so you can use it as a shoot-through or reflective, as large as your budget will allow (46" is a good size to start).

1 Many-in-one reflector kit, as large as your budget allows, and to make life easier, a reflector arm.

2 Light stands that go at least 6' tall, plus an umbrella holder if your light doesn't have one built in.

Then take that stuff, go to Strobist: Lighting 101 and start working through the exercises.

Get good with a one light setup first - really good - really understand it. THEN move on to more lights, more diverse modifiers, etc.
 
If you're just a casual photographer, all you need is a camera. Personally I wouldn't spend so much money on what is essentially a hobby. Studio equipment is used by professionals or those looking to make a career out of photography.
This is all hogwash, and should be summarily ignored.
 
thanks buster 2wheel reassuring to know I am on the right path so to say, There is so much more to photography than just point and click. The more I learn the more I want to do and learn .........now to fine uk dealers for those lights ...................
 
instead of trying to buy a few super low b udget lights, start out with one good quality light. its easier to start with one light scource and then as you become comfortable to add to it. and this way you have one quality light that will last a long time,and then you can just add another good light to it down the line. this way when your done, you have lights that will last a long time and your not selling low budget equipment and rebuying things. it's much cheaper to buy things once then to keep working your way up the price line.
 
Another vote for the Adorama flashpoint kits. Good starter lights. 2 of my 3 are still working 7 years later. The one that broke was a cheap plastic part broke off. If you get their lights, get the wireless kit that comes with it, about $50.
 
If you're just a casual photographer, all you need is a camera. Personally I wouldn't spend so much money on what is essentially a hobby. Studio equipment is used by professionals or those looking to make a career out of photography.
This is all hogwash, and should be summarily ignored.

Why? Casual/novice photographers don't need a studio nor equipment especially on a tight budget. Also this OP posted in the beginner forum. I was not aware of the background for this post and hence the advice. The post was subsequently moved here.
 
Why? Casual/novice photographers don't need a studio nor equipment especially on a tight budget. Also this OP posted in the beginner forum. I was not aware of the background for this post and hence the advice. The post was subsequently moved here.
And you are qualified to judge what people need because? I'm an amateur mechanic; some might say that I don't things like a brake disc micrometer, EFI test-kit, or 3/4" drive impact sockets, but I have them. Why? Because I want them. If an aspiring photographer wants to develop his skill along studio lines, then why pray tell, should he or she not invest in the equipment that will allow them to do so?

OP: Another vote for the Flashpoint gear!
 
Why? Casual/novice photographers don't need a studio nor equipment especially on a tight budget. Also this OP posted in the beginner forum. I was not aware of the background for this post and hence the advice. The post was subsequently moved here.
And you are qualified to judge what people need because? I'm an amateur mechanic; some might say that I don't things like a brake disc micrometer, EFI test-kit, or 3/4" drive impact sockets, but I have them. Why? Because I want them. If an aspiring photographer wants to develop his skill along studio lines, then why pray tell, should he or she not invest in the equipment that will allow them to do so?

OP: Another vote for the Flashpoint gear!

Point taken and noted. I come from a different background culture than yours and I generally don't advise people to spend lots of money on hobbies. Maybe there is a miscommunication here, I never intended it to be rude or anything - just my honest feelings/thoughts. Electronics and cameras are expensive and I am just a casual photographer myself and expressed my thoughts from my POV.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom