Honest opinions - too much post editing?

msgbmd2001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Her mom loved the edit... but did I do too much?

Attachments

• $EC_MGPWPB.jpg
    $EC_MGPWPB.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 117
Wayyyy to plasticized for a little girl, IMHO. Others may however, like this look.

MEGA too much. She's pink and has nostrils, but no nose it's so smoothed out.

If there's a sticker on her butt that says, "Made in China", then no, you didn't. If however, she's a real, live, breathing homo sapien child, than I'm not sure I have the mathematical ability to express the number of orders of magnitude by which you exceeded "reasonable" and "appropriate" in your editing!

(To be blunt: Yes, way too much!)

I wouldn't call that post editing. anyone can destroy an image using a blur, glow or whatever filter out there.

I found it to be a bit much also, so thankfully the RAW file isn't going anywhere and I can keep working on it. Thanks for reaffirming that, guys!

But when you google "child photography" it seems that this is the trend... soft, no noise, and doll-like. I agree that it was overdone here, but how do you find a happy medium between your satisfaction in the image and what people want?

Yes, wayyyy toooo much!

It's more based on good sense, it's ok to go a little over, but you're way above that. Well, I'd suggest you analise your work as in "Does it look possible for a skin to be like this?" Then if you want, you can exaggerate as much as you want, but knowing what you're doing.

Another tip I give is to do what ever you think it's good, and don't look at the photo for a couple of hours, when you come back to check you'll realize if it's good.

My 2 cents...

Great advice Eladio! Thank you.

pretty little girl, and I think everyone has pretty much told you the same. Too much :)

The "Trend" these days also seems to be to kick the yellow balance WAY up high, add as much grain effect as possible, and then render it in cartoonish HDR. In my opinion that doesn't work well either. Trends and effects and other gizmos mean nothing to me. Making a photograph look like what I saw through the viewfinder is all I care about.

She's a gorgeous child. Don't do that to her. And if you can give her the rest of her head back!

Most reactions

Back