horizontal / vertical photo's

GrizzlyBear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi i'm new here:

I wondering if its just an allusion that my face looks slimmer when i take pictures horizontally rather then vertically. ughhhh it would be nice if it was true.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Yep, just an illusion. Also, it's called landscape and portrait orientation, for reasons that should be somewhat obvious.

Yep, just an illusion. Also, it's called landscape and portrait orientation, for reasons that should be somewhat obvious.

It is always, always the instructors mistake thinking something should be obvious.

If one wants to be a good instructor/teacher, one needs to be aware of his/her audience.

On a site like this, it is almost impossible to know who the audience is....

How could it not be an illusion? Did you think the dimensions of you face were actually changing depending on the orientation of your camera?

Actually, it's called aspect ratio and there is one aspect ratio that is neither horizontal, vertical, landscape, or portrait. ;)

The aspect ratio can be horizontal 3:2
or
the aspect ratio can be vertical 2:3.

There are other aspect ratios commom to photography: 5:4 (4:5, vertical), 7:5 (5:7, vertical) immediately come to mind.

When communicating aspect ratios, stating the width first is a convention used as a means of avoiding confusion. :thumbup:

An optical delusion, kinda like persons of a wider aspect ratio shouldn't wear horizontal stripes... Doesn't make them wider, just seems to

don't be deluded, but if u like portrait aspect portraits better then only save those :er:

Most reactions

Back