Hornet & Spider (Asian), looking for suggestions

Biota

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I am more of a biology oriented person, but a lot of my passion/works involved photographing various things. I am now trying to really improve my photography skills as I am good at getting specific shots to show what i need for work, but they are almost always "ugly" for casual viewing (ie. online).

Sorry my phtoos all have writing all over them, it is our project. But i can reupload bigger photos that are not "save as web" quality. everything i post here is usually cropped, shrunk and save for web in photoshop for the internet.

So i am using EOS T21 for most things now (not impressed with this body at all!! nice features, lousy build quality). Most pictures i am using the older version (not L) Canon 100m Macro lens. I also have a tamron 17-50 for bigger stuff. I also often use a speedlite 430EXII. I am not opposed to upgrading some stuff, probably new body next, but i want to get my experience/skill better first on these older pieces.

My environment is VERY humid, and most of my photography is in the forest valleys which means sticky wet type stuff. A huge problem i have is mold inside my equipment. I dont know how to tell, but if my pictures show it, please point it out :)

Spider. taken at night, about v7" legspan. On a mossy wall. What i am trying to obtain is that nice fine crisp photo qualtiy of the hairs. Mine are more a slight blur together. I should note it was free hand, tripod is likely a good idea as well. I was standing about 30-80cm away. this was with the 100mm.

First Picture
f/14
1/160
100mm
ISO 400

A0001-2.jpg

Second Picture
f/11
1/125
100mm
ISO 800

A0001-4.jpg

The hornets were at dusk and under a leaf, so fairly dark (like heavy shade, but blue color). These were with the tamron 17-50mm. This one i am looking for more focus depth.

Third Picture
f/14
1/200
100mm
ISO 800

A0005-3.jpg

I think i need to first go tripod, and crank up the f stop. One problem i have though is because most of my subjects are mobile, I cannot keep the shutter open too long, which means a flash. Now i run into my real big problem, reflections and flash spots. I have tried filters, honestly not a fan of making things darker, my work is already in very dark situations about 90% of the time.

Any advice would be very much appreciated :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back