Horse rider portrait

timputtick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you think in terms of cropping and black and white conversion? simply used a reflector for this
7802771430_4a98c467c5_c.jpg

I think the conversion is okay. But the photo is very warped and I think the horse should have been in focus. I also would leave more room on bottom. The horses face is so close to the edge.

you want the horse and the rider in focus and don't go below 50-60 mm on the lens

I think the conversion is beautiful. THe shot is awesome on the rider, but she's interacting with the horse and looking directly at him/her. Therefore the horse should also be in focus. He's a major part of this story.
That is one GIANT horse head when compared to the rider. The tip of it's ear to the bottom of it's nose is from the top of the rider's head to her knees. I know jockeys are preferred to be short, but not that short.

A few thoughts: One, this would have been better shot in portrait aspect vice landscape, and with a smaller aperture (This is one I shot a few years ago, a similar perspective, albeit lacking a rider; shot at f8, 70mm on DX sensor). Additionally fill light was required to reduce the overall dynamic range and prevent the blowing out of the whites and featureless deep shadow on the blacks.

I agree the DOF is way to limited, it also seems a little to much like on the hind end of the horse and the back ground, seems a little bit blown out, I know it's a white e lite colored horse so I understand it would make a bit harder to balance the exposure. Looks like the sun was high noon maybe? Harsh light for the color of the horse.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back