How (and what) to shoot when it's raining

I

Iron Flatline

Ok, it's been raining for four weeks straight. I'm out of macro subjects, and need to leave the house. I'm more of a street photographer anyway.

Sooo.... how do I shoot in the rain? I wanted to hear what everyone here does.

One thing I bought (but haven't tried yet) is a rain coat for my camera:

Op/Tech RainSleeve (their product shot, not mine):

rain_sleeve.jpg

Now what? What do you all do when it won't stop raining?

Do they make a little color-matched one to mount on the flash-shoe of my camera?

OMG, I was kind of kidding. That's too funny - I get the feeling that's more about shade than rain though.

But anyway... anyone got any good shot ideas?

When I was doing news and had to shoot in the rain, I had this oversized and rubberized poncho made by Omar the Tent Maker. My entire camera bag easily fit under the poncho and the hood covered the camera body when the camera was raised for shooting. When I wasn't shooting the camera was under the poncho. This was with mechanical film cameras ... so I'd advise a bit more protection for the electronics in the lens and camera if your equipment isn't sealed. A simple trash bag is sufficient with a rubber band around the lens.

On my first trip to S-E Asia, knowing and expecting to shoot in the Monsoon(s) I packed an underwater camera. Never used it. When it rains extremely hard ... there really isn't much to shoot ... too much water equates to no shooting distance. Before and after a downpour when the rain is light/misty shooting distances open up and there are plenty of photo opps ... the poncho works ... in a downpour just have a beer and a weiner.

Additionally, as in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe ... always take a towel.

Gary

I remember reading an article about shooting in the rain. Typically, wet & rainy in the city might mean a lot of drab grey tones. Try to use this to your advantage and find bits of vibrant color that stand out from the wet concrete.

An example might be a person in a bright red rain jacket...or bright yellow rubber boots etc.

Well, the project I'll be focusing on tonight is neon reflections on wet streets. That'll be some good colors.

I just use plastic grocery bags and and some rubber bands. I've only done it a few times but it worked pretty well assuming you don't need to swap lenses too often.

and.. its free...

got a bunch of those bags laying around in the house as they make great mini-trash bags for my baby's icky diapers... ew... the stench.. hehe lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back