How could i mprove these

ShaneF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this is a loaded question so please be kind How could i improve a picture like this to get a better picture or end result next time so they dont just look like your average point and shoot picture.

Last edited:
In any number of ways, BUT... first you have to tell us what you think needs to be improved about them. Just the simple crop you made improved the overall image drastically; what else is of concern?

well there is 2 version of that picture because that rock and flowerbed have a story behind it. Not going into that story i would just like the pictures to look more clear and cleaner, i mean its a good picture to my standards but im trying to increase my standards, i want more professional looking picture eventually. Im just not sure how to go about it.

i know i dont have the knowledge yet i am still learning photo shop and my camera so i read and try to retain something new and try it each time i am taking pictures. I dont really know what to improve on it more i just know it could be better and thats why i am asking for suggestions.

Things i did do was make a tinted layer of this picture and mask it in to have the grass more green and the same with the flowers beside the rock and that where i ran out of ideas in photo shop. But either making corrections/additions in the camera itself or with software im open for ideas hits and suggestions.

There are two things that would help if you can re-shoot: One is to use some fill light so that you can have the subjects a little bit brighter than the background; this will make them stand out or "pop" and will also eliminate problems like the blown area on the top of the older gentleman's head. The other is to use depth of field (DoF) to reduce the amount of focus depth in the shot. Use a longer lens and a larger aperture (small f#) and stand further back to help render the background less focused and less distracting.

Wider aperture for narrower depth of field as mentioned would make a huge difference.

Also, if the guy on the left didn't look like he wanted to beat me to death for dating his daughter, that would help. Smiles!

I really like the composition and poses though.

Wider aperture for narrower depth of field as mentioned would make a huge difference.

Also, if the guy on the left didn't look like he wanted to beat me to death for dating his daughter, that would help. Smiles!

I really like the composition and poses though.

:lmao:

The cropped one is nice, but the lighting is a bit dull and mushy (for my taste, anyway). Some nice evening light and a shallower DoF would look nice, I think.

As for this specific photo, maybe try a very subtle S-curve adjustment? I don’t think you’ll have much wiggle room on that though, because the lighter areas on the older fella’s head will start to blow out very quickly.

maybe try a very subtle S-curve adjustment? I don’t think you’ll have much wiggle room on that though, because the lighter areas on the older fella’s head will start to blow out very quickly.

1) oval select the head (and the other guy's head so they dont differentially get editing changes and look different)
2) Feather the selection a reasonable amount, maybe 50 pixels
3) invert selection.
4) Do your s-curve

+1 on the fill lighting. In general, high quality images are made using supplemental lighting, either reflected or strobed (flash).
A wider aperture is not the only way to make depth of field (DoF) shallower.

By turning the camera vertical (portrait) and getting closer the point of focus distance is increased, which actually has a larger proportional affect on DoF than the lens aperture does.
Another advantage of getting closer is the people fill more of the image frame and have more visual weight.

By the way, DoF is shallower or deeper from the camera/photographers perspective/lens long axis. It is narrower or wider only from a point 90° to the lens axis, a point not concurrent with the photography being made.

Yes you can get closer, but I didn't suggest it, because he already looks like he was standing a nice distance away. Too much closer risks making the people look disproportional (if you imagine the extreme example of using a 10mm lens an inch from somebody's face, their nose would be 5x bigger than their ears. Same thing happens to a lesser degree when moving from 20 ft back to 5 ft to get shallower DOF). If a wider aperture is available, I think that's a safer route. If not, by all means move closer, it won't be the end of the world.

How could i improve a picture like this to get a better picture or end result next time ..

I seldom comment on focus because I don't always see the focus very well, but make sure this is in focus. Get the men to be "in line" across your frame, to keep them both in focus.

Then, either step to your left a little to frame the gentlemen against the greenery in back, avoiding the garage and other background distractions.

Or, if the standing man were to go to the other side of the flower bed, and either sit or kneel down, you could frame the composition in horizontal format, keeping the men prominent in the frame.

touchedEDITupuppp.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion they are much appreciated and for the the guy who looks like he wants to beat you...thats perfect because thats who he is lol.

Rotate everyone 90 degrees counterclockwise and shoot it with the geraniums in the foreground. That would put the magenta plant and ornamental grass on camera right to balance out the standing gentleman on camera left. Frame it as a vertical.

I would love to see some more contrast, bring down the brights so both foreheads arent blown out lol, then give it some more color.
I love it when green grass pops

Most reactions

Back