How did you name your photogrpahy business?

Aedai

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As in what inspired your photography name?

I bring this up thanks to another thread that got me thinking... I don't have a name for my photography. Granted I'm new and not a real photographer yet (I'm hoping I'm experienced enough by end of 2015 or early 2016 before I start charging). The only idea I have is my name "K.C. Anderson Photography" [not my real name but you get the idea] and I'm fairly certain I don't want to use my real name for this.

So I thought hearing other's reason for selecting their name would help spark some inspiration?

Why wouldn't you want to use your real name? Branding is critical, and one of the keys to any small business is establishing an easy to find, easy to remember brand. If your name is Bill Smith and your company is Billsmithphotography, it's that much easier to find you.

Mine is simple; my name is 'John' and my name is John's Photography because that domain name was available.

Why wouldn't you want to use your real name? Branding is critical, and one of the keys to any small business is establishing an easy to find, easy to remember brand. If your name is Bill Smith and your company is Billsmithphotography, it's that much easier to find you.

Mine is simple; my name is 'John' and my name is John's Photography because that domain name was available.
I don't like my first name, never have and never will, and my last time is so hard to pronounce that it'll cause to much confusion and take up too much room to also act as a watermark. So I'm trying to take a different route.
If I had a nice simple name I would save myself the headache and use it but this is not the case. :p

40 years ago, my parents gave me the name Sam.
My last name stems from a state in China in the 11th Century BC.

As for coming up with names. There's a good thread here. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...tise-world-you-re-just-newb-photographer.html
That's actually the thread I saw that I mentioned in my original post... Not much for inspiration there, just poking fun at new photographers. I know which names to avoid now, but doesn't help much for choosing a good name. :p

I don't like my first name, never have and never will, and my last time is so hard to pronounce that it'll cause to much confusion and take up too much room to also act as a watermark. So I'm trying to take a different route.
If I had a nice simple name I would save myself the headache and use it but this is not the case.

No need to rush it. Clear your mind and do some alone brainstorming. Do this occasionally over the course of at least a year. When you are ready, pick your favorite and run with it.

I'm inherently lazy.

Austin Greene Photography

Sure it isn't crazy easy, and that extra E is a doozy, but it's better than "GreenePhotography" and more personal than "AGPhotography." I suppose I'm opposite from you, I wanted to use my real name to help market, and it's done a lot for picking up new clients when I was at UCD. I'd give my name to someone and a solid 30-40% of the time they'd say "hey, you do photos, right?" and sign up for a shoot.

Now I've moved, and I need to start over from square one again, oh well!

RedSkiesPhotography. I love landscapes, often by the water, and the who "red skies at night" saying ties in with my love for the ocean (and my marine biology degree).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I eventually want to be in business with two other people shooting under the same company name so my own name is out. I came up with Shutter Inc. and started branding myself/my business with the name.

Krisnerphotography (not a professional just what i post under)

I guess I am boring lol

RedSkiesPhotography. I love landscapes, often by the water, and the who "red skies at night" saying ties in with my love for the ocean (and my marine biology degree).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess us Landscapers use an alias while portrait photographers use their names :)

Anyhow, my company is Urban Reflection LLC.

Former cowboy and team roper who has worn a cowboy hat since he could walk. Hats Off Photography is my company name.

As in what inspired your photography name?

I bring this up thanks to another thread that got me thinking... I don't have a name for my photography. Granted I'm new and not a real photographer yet (I'm hoping I'm experienced enough by end of 2015 or early 2016 before I start charging). The only idea I have is my name "K.C. Anderson Photography" [not my real name but you get the idea] and I'm fairly certain I don't want to use my real name for this.

So I thought hearing other's reason for selecting their name would help spark some inspiration?

I went with Go Eff Yourself Photography. So far it's worked brilliantly, not one person has called and annoyed me by wanting me to take pictures for them. I did get one call from a guy asking me to take a survey but I just hung up on him.

it seems to me that the development curve for new photographers is generally like this:

1. buy camera and kit lens and PS Elements
  2. Take picture of flower - centered and oversaturated
  3. take silhouette of tree against sunset
  4. take tilted picture of person - heavily vignetted
  5. think up name for their nascent enterprise
  6. make large watermark
  7. plan and start buying complete kit of consumer grade lenses
  8. make signature that includes all lenses and filters
  9. actually puts uv filter on lens
  10. read some parts of manual

Last edited:
it seems to me that the development curve for new photographers is generally like this:

buy camera and kit lens and PS Elements
Take picture of flower - centered and oversaturated
take silhouette of tree against sunset
take tilted picture of person - heavily vignetted
think up name for their nascent enterprise
make large watermark
plan and start buying complete kit of consumer grade lenses
make signature that includes all lenses and filters
actually puts uv filter on lens
read some parts of manual
Ok, check, check, check. Oh crap! Hey Lew could you help me make a watermark of some kind?

I need something with some real oomph, I want to announce my presence with authority.

Lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back