How do I check a used camera and lens before buying

JohnnyL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I'm planning to buy a used Nikon D80 and a 18-55 lens in a few days. What are the things I have to check on the body and the lens before buying? I know I'll check for cracks and dings and dead pixels but what else are there?

Thanks for looking , help appreciated.

Make sure it turns on.

Check the LCD(s) and make sure the image is clear. Check the viewfinder and make sure it's not overly dusty.

Make sure the camera can focus.

Make sure the light meter works...look through the viewfinder and move the camera around...the light meter on the bottom should change as the light changes.

Check the battery compartment for clean contacts.

Remove the lens and check the contacts.

Might want to make sure the popup flash works.

Make sure the little doors and covers are still good.

If you can, make an unedited jpeg, upload to a computer and read the number of shutter actuations using an EXIF reader. D80 shutter life is around 50,000 clicks.

If you can, make an unedited jpeg, upload to a computer and read the number of shutter actuations using an EXIF reader. D80 shutter life is around 50,000 clicks.

does that work with canons?

What do you mean by shutter life? Is is that after 50,000 exposures there is a risk that the shutter won't work properly?

Ok , thanks for info on the body. How do I check the lens? Fungus , etc.

What do you mean by shutter life? Is is that after 50,000 exposures there is a risk that the shutter won't work properly?

That is the estimated shutter life that Nikon gives for that camera. Some people get more, some get less, but it's the figure that Nikon expects for that particular shutter after doing testing when the camera was developed.

Most reactions

Back