how do i do a indoor lighting set up like this?

ph0toe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i would think its just a simple lamp with a standard lightbulb and then some gel on a small strobe facing the wall. how are they able to get the subject to look bright and crisp?
obviously blurry due to low f stop. am i right?

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 10.36.53 AM.png

There's more than just a simple light bulb. There's also a large diffuser of some sort, evidenced by the soft edges of the shadows.

where would the diffuser be? key light? above the subject head? it seems it is just a key light angled at 45 degree . did i. get the back lamp plus the blue gel right? how to ensure blue gel won't catch on fire with a light?

obviously blurry due to low f stop. am i right?

no, it's blurry cause you took a screenshot of a video...

The two different light colors in the background is distracting and not something you should try to replicate. The subject is simply a single diffused key light, camera right and high. just look at the shadows on her face (nose, eye socket, neck) and catchlight in her eye.

Looks like the main light is above and to the right with respect to the camera. There may be a blue background light with a blue gel.

Theatrical-grade lighting gels are what you're looking for. They may warp under high heat, but won't melt.

Look at the lamp, it has a shadow, how does a lit up lamp cast a shadow of itself? It doesn’t there are at least 2 or 3 other light sources I see, one of which may be daylight from a window.

One above left that is throwing the lamp shadow to the right and one above right that is lighting the subjects face and throwing soft shadows down to the left.

One above left that is throwing the lamp shadow to the right and one above right that is lighting the subjects face and throwing soft shadows down to the left.

I don't believe the lamp is casting that shadow, imho the shadow is being cast from an object on the right frame from lighting on the right. Quite possibly the blue bg light.

It's obvious the bulb in the lamp is very very very dim.

I doubt the blue was intentional. I don't know the wall color (to judge the lamp white balance... but there is a white looking something, tissue maybe, at right under the lamp). But since white balance possibly might be about OK for the incandescent table lamp, it could be that the blue is daylight from a window at far right, which could be about that blue in incandescent white balance. For exampe, my site has a photo of a similar blue situation at Other differences of Continuous light and flash which is incandescent white balance with blue caused by daylight outside the window.

The shadows on your blue shelf in your picture are from light at far right.
Neither the table lamp or the blue light are illuminating your subject.
There of course is another larger (umbrella?) light on the subject.

no, it's blurry cause you took a screenshot of a video...

The two different light colors in the background is distracting and not something you should try to replicate. The subject is simply a single diffused key light, camera right and high. just look at the shadows on her face (nose, eye socket, neck) and catchlight in her eye.

haha, yes you're right.

do you think it is distracting? color wheels seems to say this is very popular contrast.

so you're saying 45 degree angled with softbox on her left side, camera on the right and lifted up? and this is it? just the desk lamp and then blue gel mounted on some small strobe light hitting a wall?

and how does one capture catchlight on the eye?

This shot could have been done in a variety of ways. I don't see the catchlights being talked about but the subject may or may not have been strobed but likely was?
Either way the key component here is that the shutter was dragged. Without dragging the shutter, if there was a strobe used the lamp light would not have come out at all unless the key light was at very low power. The dragged shutter would also account for the softness of the subject since any movement at all might be seen as slight blur. Without a strobe a pretty open shutter, low speed, high ISO or all three could account for softness.
The warmish yellow and the blue may have been either strobes or constant light that was gelled since the dragging would burn in the colors regardless of intensity. I'd say the SS would have been between a 1/4 to 1/2 second.
Definitely not a great shot but good for analysis!
SS

This shot could have been done in a variety of ways. I don't see the catchlights being talked about but the subject may or may not have been strobed but likely was?
Either way the key component here is that the shutter was dragged. Without dragging the shutter, if there was a strobe used the lamp light would not have come out at all unless the key light was at very low power. The dragged shutter would also account for the softness of the subject since any movement at all might be seen as slight blur. Without a strobe a pretty open shutter, low speed, high ISO or all three could account for softness.
The warmish yellow and the blue may have been either strobes or constant light that was gelled since the dragging would burn in the colors regardless of intensity. I'd say the SS would have been between a 1/4 to 1/2 second.
Definitely not a great shot but good for analysis!
SS

This was a video. no strobes were used in the creation of this screen capture of a video being played on screen.

and i mentioned catchlights...

IMO the background colours are just fine, complimentary colours work well for this type of work. Here's my assessment of the lighting set up.

The subject is lit by a diffused modifier high and slightly camera right, not quite on axis, note the lack of nose shadow. You can also see the catchlight in the eyes @ the 1 o'clock position.

The blue background is lit by a light source to the right, note the shadow from the vase and the highlight of what looks to be a glass covered picture frame.

The shadow from the lamp looks to be from a fill light camera left, either flagged or gridded to prevent fill on the subject but lighting the background to reduce the shadows formed from the table lamp.

Thank you.

so the way i would do it to replicate that video would be the following?

IMG_1096.JPG

Nope. Look at the nose shadow, in your set up the shadow would be longer since you are positioning the light and camera on opposite sides of each other to the subject.

More like this:

Attachments

• LightingSetup_video.gif
    LightingSetup_video.gif
    264.6 KB · Views: 96
thank you so much. so i take it next to the subjext is the blue gel with light angled the other way. and behind the subject angled it is the lamp . that was very. helpful!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back