How do I do this correctly?

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend's sister had a wedding last year. She hired a low budget (and not very good) photographer so the photos were not that great. My friend wanted to give her sister a nice framed photo of the sister's wedding. She asked me for my help with my photoshop ability. She sent me a photo that she liked of the couple right in the middle of the dance floor. But the background was absolutely horrid (empty tables and other stuff). It is more like a snapshot than a frame-able photo.

So anyway, I cloned out all the background to make it look like they are standing in a big dance hall and added vignette. So all you see is flooring around them. I also cleaned the skin and some other things. They loved it and couldn't believe someone could do what I did! (nice compliment) Now the question, how do I put the before and after photo on my portfolio? I still do not know who the photographer is. I can probably find out. But on the other hand I don't want to put someones name in a bad way (your photos sucked so i have to photochop it). How would you do it?

Thanks!

I would agree with Bitter, better to show off your own photos and 'chop skills of those than do that to someone else...

Of course, being me...I would feel complimented having someone take the time to edit my photos...

Aww man.. I really loved what I did :(. I wish I can share it with you guys.

You don't.

Agreed. And I wouldn't have done what you did in the first place but, maybe that's just me. At the very least I would have made contact with the photographer to get permission or a transfer of rights to his client.

Travis

You don't.

Agreed. And I wouldn't have done what you did in the first place but, maybe that's just me. At the very least I would have made contact with the photographer to get permission or a transfer of rights to his client.

Travis

She paid for it and get all the high resolution on a CD. You would not have done what I did? What do you mean? You opened up another subject.

You don't.

Travis

She paid for it and get all the high resolution on a CD. You would not have done what I did? What do you mean? You opened up another subject.

So, the client paid for the wedding images and a transfer of copyright or a transfer of reprint rights?

I would not edit someone else's work without their explicit authorization, even if the image is "owned" by a friend. I feel this way because I would NOT want my created works edited by anyone without my approval and consent.

You and everyone else involved may agree that the image is better the way that it was edited but, it wasn't you that created the image in the first place. So it's not your right to edit it the way you see fit.

This may be just my opinion but that's the way I feel about it. Sorry.

Travis

When you get photos from a photographer, even if you get a CD of those photos you still don't have the copyright over that product - unless you specifically purchase or agree to that with the photographer (and get it in a written contract).

Otherwise copyright is still with the photographer - all you have us a right to use the photos and to print them (if given on CD - if you just purchase prints that is all you have - a print). Thus editing photos is something you are not "allowed" to do without the express permission of the photographer.

Even for personal use? I totally agree if we are putting the photo on the cover of a wedding magazine. Man.. this whole thing is confusing. All right.. i guess I will just leave it alone. It has been printed and hung in their livingroom.

Even for personal use? ...... It has been printed and hung in their livingroom.

Yep, even for personal use. While it is for persoanl use, it is still being displayed and an inaccurate representation of the photographers work.

I think I recall reading some previous posts of yours where you talked about moving into wedding photography, is that correct? As an easy example (assuming you are going into wedding photography) how are you going to treat the very same situation shall it arise from one of your clients? Say you do one of your first gigs for a friend, relative.... you walk in to their house to see that your work has been edited in a cheesey fashion and there it is hanging on the wall in a 16x20 print for everyone to see and associate with you and your work. I'm not saying your edit was cheesey, I have no way of knowing that.

Now, if it wasn't you talking about moving into wedding work, well I guess the same applies for any genre you choose.

I hope I'm not coming off as an ass. Just trying to let you know the unseen consequences.

Travis

Travis has a point...better to be safe than sorry...I don't mind my photos being edited by anyone but I also don't have the same views as everyone else...someone may get a little upset...and murder you...just for editing their photo...well, okay...maybe that IS a little extreme...but I wouldn't put it past a human to do so...

Even for personal use? I totally agree if we are putting the photo on the cover of a wedding magazine. Man.. this whole thing is confusing. All right.. i guess I will just leave it alone. It has been printed and hung in their livingroom.

It seems you have a lot to learn other than photography.
We have the same issues in my industry, it has created fights, very bad feelings and numerous lawsuits.
I am consulted on this topic alot. My answer is always the same. Contact the original person....

I hate to say this, but I see two issues that create this mess, $$$ and/or ego.

I guess I will try to track down the photographer. All I want to do is put before and after edit photos and I want to put the photographer's name on the credit. Let's see if I can get her permission. Thanks for the help guys!

Travis, yeah thats me. I do want to get into wedding photography. What you said makes sense.

Pierre, I do have a lot to learn. A lot of these rules are not black and white. There is a lot of gray area in the middle. I feel that photochopping is almost like an art. For example lets look at your avatar. Someone else made that sculpture but you took the photo. Lets say you photochop it and make the guy's hair look like an afro. Is that OK?

stop stealing people's work! No seriously, don't bother man. You good pictures already on your website that shows what you can do. Just next time you do a wedding, take a shot similar and use that instead. Don't waste your time on this one.

I would definately be careful about that one its a slipery slope your best bet is to try and find the photographer and put it in a nice way about what you did so you don't offend him and see if you can put it in your portfolio

Most reactions

Back