How do I get this depth of field with strobes?

whereyoubegin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone! I just recently purchased my first strobes/speedlite (AB800/Large Softbox & Canon EX580/umbrella). I'm looking to get shallow depth of field while using my lights and my either my 28mm 1.8 or my 50mm 1.8.

I've used strobes only about 3 times before and have been stuck shooting at around f/8-f/16, which is fine, but I'm ready to do some softer looking portraits/headshots. I've read about ND filters helping out, but still haven't seen any examples similar to this with such softness on the hair. Also, I'm not sure what type of ND filter to buy.

I'm looking to do something similar to this photo of Adam Yauch.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...o-i-get-depth-field-strobes-yauch-620x768.jpg

Can you guys please help out? Thanks so much!

Image removed IAW TPF Copyright Requirements. Please refer to the FAQ for more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
One way is decrease the amount of light with either the light setting or distance from light to subject. (allowing you to open your aperture blades wider).

Another is separate the subject from the background with a great distance and shoot close to your subject.

You can just turn the AB800 and 580EX down...? You don't need ND filters to shoot with a wider aperture. Monolights and speedlights have variable power.

Thanks 2Wheel. I've tried taking my Alien Bees B800 all the way down, but when i got to 1.8, the photo is still too bright.

Thanks 2Wheel. I've tried taking my Alien Bees B800 all the way down, but when i got to 1.8, the photo is still too bright.

Yeah, back the light up further. Also you can use a modifier to soak some light. 1.8 is greedy though.....

I would strongly suggest you not shoot at f/1.8.

Could you please elaborate? I'm looking for as much info and help as possible.

Longer lens is a good first step to limiting your DOF, I use my 85mm f1.8, 100mm f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8, usually at f2.8-f4. Pretty much all strobes have variable controls, so if you're at ISO 100, you should b e able to shoot at a pretty wide aperture.

Thanks dude. very helpful. Does this include crop sensor camera's or just full frame? I've been told my 50mm is comprable to an 85 with my crop factor.

whereyoubegin said:
Could you please elaborate? I'm looking for as much info and help as possible.

Shooting a lens wide open is not good for image sharpness at all. I stop down to f2 on my primes at least.

f/2 is fine. even f2.8 is good. I was just using 1.8 as a generalization for how far I might want to go in the future. I'm more here to talk about shallow depth of field with strobes instead of finding lens' sweet spots.

whereyoubegin said:
f/2 is fine. even f2.8 is good. I was just using 1.8 as a generalization for how far I might want to go in the future. I'm more here to talk about shallow depth of field with strobes instead of finding lens' sweet spots.

You can shoot at f/2.2 and still use your setup.

In studio, the apparent DoF has just as much to do with focal length and distance to your subject as is does with aperture setting.

On full frame, my 70-200 f/2.8 is usually my go-to lens, since it gives me so much freedom to create whatever look I'm going for. I've found that on half body portraits or headshots, a focal length of around 135mm and a subject/camera distance of about 8 feet for portrait and less for headshot seems to work really well.

YMMV...

Yep! Focus point distance, and how far from the background you subject is is often more important than the lens aperture used.

Another way to get background separation that is often superior to a shallow DoF when using strobed light, is to under expose the ambient light with the shutter speed. Lens aperture and strobed light power setting control the strobed light exposure.

I would recommend stopping any f/1.8 or faster lens down more like 2 stops to regain focus sharpness. f/1.8 to f/3.5 is 2 stops.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back