How do I get this polaroid/vintage effect? Help! Pics Included.

lover.mk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all!
How would one go about getting this sort of effect in my photography? Is it a certain filter or shutter change?
I love the look but have no idea how achieve it :( I'd appreciate your expertise/suggestions!

This effect:
FH000023nina.jpg

mka2.jpg

ETA: Images fixed.

you have to log on to view these pics . . .

Thanks manfromh :)
the problem is I'm sure the photographer uses a digital camera, any idea how?

well, as stated, that is just shot on film, first one without flash (the lack of a filter makes it quite warm), second one with flash.

well, I do get similar images digitally ... can you post an image that you took digitally and think it looks different?

These are from the same camera and photographer (source: theskullset)

FH000004nina.jpg

FH000005nina.jpg

FH000013nina.jpg

Well, but why don't you just post YOUR pictures, so we can see the difference and tell you how to achieve the same effect.

oh, and BTW, most of those images are .. well .. not too impressive for me, but that is a different story and mainly refers to composition, not to colours and exposure.

They're definitely not art and they aren't anything but snapshots, so I agree with you when you shun them.
I'm just curious as to how they took the photos like this (ie. that vintage lack of quality effect) with a digital camera.

Thanks for the snippets of advice, I might consider just using film or playing around with the white balance :wink:

Vintage = Lack of quality.

I'm gonna write that one down. :lol:

If those first two were taken with a digital camera (because it looks to me like they were shot on film and then the prints scanned)... then the way to achieve that "lack of quality" would be to raise the ISO and set the wrong white balance.

(Oh, and don't forget to use direct flash for that classic red-eye effect too) :D

They're definitely not art and they aren't anything but snapshots, so I agree with you when you shun them.
I'm just curious as to how they took the photos like this (ie. that vintage lack of quality effect) with a digital camera.

Thanks for the snippets of advice, I might consider just using film or playing around with the white balance :wink:

- well, raise ISO (which gives you some "grain" effect). If you want it to look more like real grain (since increasing ISO also gives a lot of colour noise which looks different from grain), then use a grain filter in post processing.

- get the white balance wrong on purpose

- use a horrible on camera flash

- try not to compose the image too well

that would be my recipe ;)

Most reactions

Back