How do I maintain quality in close up photo

jkamra2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thanks for any help in advance!

I am trying to take some product shots for a web site. They are close ups of jars of mustard. I frame the shot in my camera (Konica Minolta DiMage Z10) and take the photo. I then open it in Photoshop and at it's normal size, it looks fine (about 5 inches wide by 6 inches tall). But I need to adjust the size to make it 1.68 wide in inches to fit in the web site. I keep the proportions locked.

When I reduce the size, the text that is on the mustard becomes blurry and unreadable.

What should I be doing to make the image quality of the photo clear and readable?

The camera? Different print size? What can I do to make it better?

Thanks for the help!

1.68 wide in inches
That sounds way too small to be able to read. Computer screens are usually around 72 pixels per inch...which doesn't give you a lot of pixels at 1.68 inches, to read a label on a photo of a jar.

You can try Bicubic sharpener when resizing, but I think making it that small you are likely to lose already tiny lettering? If you posted examples of your problem people might be able to better help you. Also make sure when you size down to whatever you need, you use 72dpi.

That sounds way too small to be able to read. Computer screens are usually around 72 pixels per inch...which doesn't give you a lot of pixels at 1.68 inches, to read a label on a photo of a jar.

I am changing the image size, but I keep the resolution at 72 dpi. I'm not sure if that matters.

How do I insert a picture into the forum?

I see the "Inset Image" button, but then it asks for the URL, but it is on my computers desktop.

How much does the camera itself influence the photo?

This current camera is a few years old. I don't know the size of the sensor. The camera says its a 3.2 megapixel and by the lens it says 36-290mm 1:3.2-3.4 (Equiv. 135)

How much of an effect on the ability to get a better close up shot would a better camera have?

For a small image on the internet...that camera should be fine. As long as it can focus close enough to get the detail that you need. Does your camera have a macro mode (usually a flower icon)? If so, I'd use that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back