How do I make White snow

Since the OP clearly stated he knows how to fix this in post-processing and wants to get it right in-camera, I'll try to address the original question.

WB has been addressed.

How did you meter? The snow is underexposed and closer to gray. I could try to explain but exposing snow has been explained by others much more articulate than myself. Here is one example:

Exposing Snow

And as I recall photographing snow was covered well in "Understanding Exposure."

A few weeks ago I spent some quality time shooting objects in the snow and just playing with the manual settings. I gained a great deal of understanding from the immediate feedback on my 50D. Once you understand the fundamental meter challenge in shooting snow, you'll not forget it.

Good on ya for trying to get the exposure correct in the camera rather than just fixin' it in Photoshop.

http://www.nicholsonprints.com/Articles/snow.htm

yes, basically you just have to over expose the image by about 2 stops as it is much brighter than the camera expects.

For white balance in camera typically the best method is shooting a gray card and then setting a custom white balance on your image. With raw it really doesn't matter (obviously) but with jpeg it's a good idea.

the metadata indicates the white balance was in manual mode so it isn't an auto wb issue. Perhaps it was on tungsen by mistake

Most reactions

Back