How do I nicely say "You shouldn't be charging for photos yet?" Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHAT??? Nobody has popped any popcorn? And the movie's already half over! What is WRONG with you people!!!!! ;-)

Just tell here to put it in "P" mode. It's the Pro mode and all here shots will be worth money.

Right now there is some clueless person baking cupcakes in their kitchen with the dream of starting the next great business. ... and so it goes.

She joined the 50 buck Craig's List fauxtograhers who take work from real shooters. Why just this week I uttered, "You get what ya pay for..." when I lost a paying gig to someone such as your friend.

She joined the 50 buck Craig's List fauxtograhers who take work from real shooters. Why just this week I uttered, "You get what ya pay for..." when I lost a paying gig to someone such as your friend.
These people are not my competition.

She joined the 50 buck Craig's List fauxtograhers who take work from real shooters.

Sorry, but "real shooters" don't lose work to $50.00 Craig's List photographers.

A person who loses a gig to some low-balling CL photographer isn't much of a photographer to begin with...

These people are not my competition.

As I do not charge for my work in dead presidents, but when I finally did give a quote to do a wedding as a favor to my son (his friend) the party said, "I found someone cheaper !" just my thoughts texham on Best Buy kits who can't use M...

Depends on how good a friend it is, you might be able to bring up ideas in conversation related to starting a business (not necessarily just photography related) like how it would be necessary to keep track of expenses and payments and taxes etc. etc. You can express concerns etc. but to some extent your friend might have to figure out some things on her own.

I think the easy part is throwing together a Facebook page, the hard part would be providing good quality images that clients would be happy with. I think the idea of having a photography business could run its course once reality sinks in for your friend.

Traveler, having been a teacher I think that people can often learn better if they do the work themselves, maybe next time let the friend do the editing hands on with you offering suggestions or guidance - let him 'drive' while you give the directions - he might develop a better understanding of what he's doing and you'll know he did the work on his photos himself (even with some help from a friend).

She joined the 50 buck Craig's List fauxtograhers who take work from real shooters.

Sorry, but "real shooters" don't lose work to $50.00 Craig's List photographers.

A person who loses a gig to some low-balling CL photographer isn't much of a photographer to begin with...
Did not intend to open a debate with "the Real McCoy's" here. Not hi jacking the OP thread. Settle down ya all...

Did not intend to open a debate with "the Real McCoy's" here. Not hi jacking the OP thread. Settle down ya all...

If you didn't want to discuss it, what was the point in saying it?

If you're going to talk about "fauxtographers", then lets talk about "the Real McCoys", too. Hell, you can't have one without the other, so why your reluctance to discuss your comment?

I would like to talk to her about this, but I don't know how to nicely say that she shouldn't be trying to pass herself off as a professional when she clearly is not.
You could always ask her for her "professional" help with your questions about taxes, contracts, etc. "How do you handle these things, as a successful business person?" "Could you give me some guidance in this area?"

I'm going to piggyback. None of these issues that you've brought up affect you in he slightest. Do you REALLY value the friendship? Or is it a surfacey, everyone talks about everyone behind their backs when they get up to go to the restroom "friendship"? If it's one of those, than do whatever you want because we all know those don't last very long, anyways. I'm halfway kidding, but not really.

If you really value the friendship, encourage her, and support her. THAT will do more to "ensure she doesn't get hurt" than telling her she's going to fail, in an ever so polite, albeit passive aggressive way. I mean, you can't really tell someone they suck in a "nice" way.

I'm an entrepreneur. I cannot tell you how many times I have failed. Countless. The people who are still around? Those who knew I'd fail, but supported me anyways. Those who were left behind? The ones who had "my best interest" in mind, and "told me so" all the way down as I failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back