How do I nicely say "You shouldn't be charging for photos yet?" Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but "real shooters" don't lose work to $50.00 Craig's List photographers.

A person who loses a gig to some low-balling CL photographer isn't much of a photographer to begin with...
Did not intend to open a debate with "the Real McCoy's" here. Not hi jacking the OP thread. Settle down ya all...

If you didn't want to discuss it, what was the point in saying it?

If you're going to talk about "fauxtographers", then lets talk about "the Real McCoys", too. Hell, you can't have one without the other, so why your reluctance to discuss your comment?
My comment of course is tongue firmly placed in the cheek, but your ego has taken offense as I am NOT on your shooter levels of professionalism. I am not in your pay grade...we all know this.

Who the hell are you to say I am not much of a photographer? SteveD my cheek.

1st one with a photo pass to say Pearl Jam in Chicago in July has the bigger Lens :)

I don't want to see her get herself into trouble and get stuck in a jam. She's a friend I've known for some time and I don't want to see a friend get caught up in something nasty.

You make a fair point about the taxes, I just wanted to point out that she hadn't tried to seek out any legal counsel.
I've been shooting for about 3 years now, so I have some experience and have done a few critiques as well. Thank you for the advice on the critique session, I didn't even think of that.

Some people needs to learn the hard way. Stay as friends and make sure she doesn't drag you down with her.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If her product is bad, the results will be known in short order from her clients. You can't save the world from 1 bad photographer. No different than trying to chase down every shady tree mechanic, back yard carpenter, handy man plumber, or any number of novices doing work that professionals also do.

If she gets in trouble with the tax man, that's on her not you. If she has clients that are pissed off because she f-uped their wedding, that's on them for not carefully reviewing her portfolio.

Now if she were directly asking you for upcoming clients, then poaching them using her 'lower prices' then we have something to talk about. Otherwise, I wouldn't let it worry you.

bestbuy kit and everyone's a pro
icon10.gif

Semi-pro. Add a pair of PW's and they're officially "pro."

Just sayin'...:mrgreen:

I even have a monolight, does that count?

I have a good friend who really wants to be a good photographer but just can't seem to get it all together; I have been helping/tutoring him with post-processing. He comes over my house and looks over my shoulder while I take an image of his and analyze it, then do all the edits to the finish. Then he'll try the same process.
Last Monday we worked on two color images and and another that I converted to B&W.
I can say honestly that the difference before and after for each of the images was quite marked.
I do everything in separate layers and label them so he can use them as a 'tutorial.'
He always takes my PS files home with him.
He called me this week and said those three images won two firsts and a second in a local club contest.
I don't know how to feel about that.

With quiet pride.

Wow! I didn't know I was gonna start a four page thread! :lol:

Totally off topic, this question is for 2WheelPhoto: I see you are in Tampa. How do you like it? I'm going to be moving there in late August.

I would nicely say "You shouldn't be charging for photos yet". But the reasoning behind your opinion is what is important. Explain to your friend that if they hold off on charging, study and work on their craft, and do much more preparing on the business end of photography that they will be better off in the long run. By that I mean they will be able to charge more for what they do and sustain a profitable business.

Totally off topic, this question is for 2WheelPhoto: I see you are in Tampa. How do you like it? I'm going to be moving there in late August.

Luvn' it! If you want to hang out with some folks interested in photography or fast bikes, I hang out with both crowds look me up

Luvn' it! If you want to hang out with some folks interested in photography or fast bikes, I hang out with both crowds look me up

2wheel also loves pocket wizards.

I would send your friend a copy of all 4 pages of this thread.

Did not intend to open a debate with "the Real McCoy's" here. Not hi jacking the OP thread. Settle down ya all...

If you're going to talk about "fauxtographers", then lets talk about "the Real McCoys", too. Hell, you can't have one without the other, so why your reluctance to discuss your comment?
My comment of course is tongue firmly placed in the cheek, but your ego has taken offense as I am NOT on your shooter levels of professionalism. I am not in your pay grade...we all know this.

1st one with a photo pass to say Pearl Jam in Chicago in July has the bigger Lens :)

Are you losing gigs to $50.00 shooters? If so, then you need to up your game. Period.

If you're not, you're not one of the people I was talking about.

My ego is fine. I don't lose gigs to people who charge $50.00, but it's not necessarily because they're not my competition, but because I'm not theirs. They don't compete with me on price, expertise, experience; anything. I don't worry about them an iota, and they realize it's a fool's errand for them to worry about me...

Are you losing gigs to $50.00 shooters? If so, then you need to up your game. Period.

If you're not, you're not one of the people I was talking about.

My ego is fine. I don't lose gigs to people who charge $50.00, but it's not necessarily because they're not my competition, but because I'm not theirs. They don't compete with me on price, expertise, experience; anything. I don't worry about them an iota, and they realize it's a fool's errand for them to worry about me...

But what about other factors other than photography. I know it might sound ridiculous, but in this area a mediocre family/child photographer can easily become very successful.

That's because down here people are more focuses on other people because there is nothing better to do, and not so much the skill that the person has.

What I mean is that a below average photographer who is female, mid-thirties, charges less, and has kids will be much more successful then a single man in his twenties who is an incredible photographer but charges more.

That's just a phenomena I've noticed in this area. I don't know if it's as much like this in other places, but sometimes the factors that determine which photographer someone goes to is out of the photographer's control.

...In my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back