How do I nicely say "You shouldn't be charging for photos yet?" Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My comment of course is tongue firmly placed in the cheek, but your ego has taken offense as I am NOT on your shooter levels of professionalism. I am not in your pay grade...we all know this.

Who the hell are you to say I am not much of a photographer? SteveD my cheek.

1st one with a photo pass to say Pearl Jam in Chicago in July has the bigger Lens :)

Are you losing gigs to $50.00 shooters? If so, then you need to up your game. Period.

If you're not, you're not one of the people I was talking about.

My ego is fine. I don't lose gigs to people who charge $50.00, but it's not necessarily because they're not my competition, but because I'm not theirs. They don't compete with me on price, expertise, experience; anything. I don't worry about them an iota, and they realize it's a fool's errand for them to worry about me...

But what about other factors other than photography. I know it might sound ridiculous, but in this area a mediocre family/child photographer can easily become very successful.

That's because down here people are more focuses on other people because there is nothing better to do, and not so much the skill that the person has.

What I mean is that a below average photographer who is female, mid-thirties, charges less, and has kids will be much more successful then a single man in his twenties who is an incredible photographer but charges more.

That's just a phenomena I've noticed in this area. I don't know if it's as much like this in other places, but sometimes the factors that determine which photographer someone goes to is out of the photographer's control.

...In my opinion.

Then it would seem as though the better photographer needs to either up his game, and relocate, or get into another line of work.

A lot of people here like to "blame" the Craig's List crowd for stealing gigs from "pros". What you've described speaks solely to the prevailing economics. Answer this: If the cheap photographer isn't there, does the expensive guy soak up all of that business, or do some people simply not hire a photographer? If not, then the absence of a cheap photographer isn't what's impacting the loss of business for the pro...

sm4him said:
SNIP>>>I've reached the point in my life where I am getting better and better at that whole "grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference" thing.

That, to the tenth power. Uh-huh. THAT!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Five pages of this.... Really?

Don't we think everyone has probably said all that needs saying?

post-ho'ing typically starts around page 2 or 3 of any thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back