How do people record real videos with Canon SLR?

From what I read, I think you can only record 12 mins per clip.

The huge successful TV show House has a slightly different budget than the OP using a Canon 60D....

But this doesn't change the fact that you referred to the DSLR video capability as a gimmick. So which is it?

The huge successful TV show House has a slightly different budget than the OP using a Canon 60D....

But this doesn't change the fact that you referred to the DSLR video capability as a gimmick. So which is it?

For the average user walking in a camera store and looking to buy a DSLR, the video mode of the body is a gimmick(or a sales pitch) and for the pro videographer with the right knowledge, tools, accessories lighting and so on, a pro DSLR opens up the world of videography. Again there is a very distinct thick line between the average user and a videographer.... this thread is posted in the "Beginners photography forum" so the chance of a of videographer looking for answers here is quite small if not non existent.

I realize what the OP posted. You posted that video in a DSLR was a gimmick.

As I mentioned above, for the average user, the video is a gimmick in a entry/amateur level DSLR vs the pro videographer with all the required tools and cash to back it all up.

Canon's first camera with video was the 5d mkii. It's one of their highest models. It is not a gimmick.

Your very first post said that video on dslrs is a gimmick. You didn't say that was in context to who was purchasing. It's not a gimmick. You're obviously ignorant as to what video on a dslr can do and to how the "gimmick" has totally changed the videography game. It's a pretty damn good "gimmick" when people are honestly comparing quality to camera systems like red that can cost over 10 times of what an hdslr setup would cost.

So if it's such a big gimmick why are people using hdslrs to do professional video? You can backpedal all you want, but you obviously don't know the potential of an hdslr and you don't mind trying to spread that ignorance on to others.

The video feature on SLR's is a gimmick, it works but with lots of flaws.

Someone better tell this to the folks that are in the "Biz" before they go and do something silly like film the season finale of a hugely successful television series on a DSLR....... Oops.... Too late.

Canon 5D Mark II used to shoot entire House season finale, director says it's 'the future' -- Engadget

;)

The whole point of the DSLR in film making on a budget

The video feature on SLR's is a gimmick...

Maybe for the average consumer, but it is far from a gimmick. Look at what professional HD vid cameras cost to use/rent. Compare that to the cost of say, a 5d mkii plus a complete red rock rig. It's comparable to some of the less expensive rigs out there and far cheaper than the more expensive ones. Plus, the lenses are the 5d are far cheaper for the same/better quality. Several feature length films have been shot, at least partially, on a DSLR. Most notably, at this point, was Black Swan, you know, that little film that was nominated for 5 Academy Awards, including best cinematography. If you watch that movie, all of the subway shots were taken on a DSLR. There were no rigs being used on the camera either, just a handheld DSLR. Here's a quote from the Director of Photography for Black Swan.

We used a Canon 7D or 1D Mark IV for all the subway scenes; I could just carry a 7D and shoot on the subway all day with a very small crew. I did some tests with my wife beforehand to figure out my ASA, my stop, and how I was going to deal with the focus. I didn’t use any rigs with it because I wasn’t trying to shoot in the traditional way. I tested a bunch of different exposures and then brought the footage to Charlie Hertzfeld at Technicolor, who put it in the system so I could look at the highlights, the moiré and the resolution. Then I went back to the drawing board to do more tests. The 7D has more depth of field than the 5D, but I needed that because I didn’t have a follow-focus unit and needed to work really fast. I shot everything documentary-style. I did all the focus pulls by hand, and we’d just look at it on the camera’s monitor. I ended up shooting on a Canon 24mm lens at 1,600 ASA to get as much depth of field as possible at a stop of T81⁄2.

If I'm not mistaken, and entire episode of House was filmed with a 5d mkii as well. I'm sure there's plenty of others, but to call the video function of a DSLR a gimmick is really not true. It might not be practical for the average user. But to the type of user, especially the pro level bodies, the cameras are geared for, it's an extremely usable feature.

The video feature on SLR's is a gimmick, it works but with lots of flaws. In alot of cases you will be better to buy that cheap video-recorder or even an iPhone4 will do a much better job and not to mention the size difference.

I posted an unedited vid of me biking down whistler mountain with an iPhone 3Gs which doesn't have the video quality of an iPhone4.

Nice bail on the wallride. Haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back