How do you couple a lens in reverse?

DScience

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I would like to start taking some macro pics, without spending tons on a new lens. What sort of converter would I need to shoot with my lens in reverse??

They make adapters. Filter thread to mount.

One of the cheaper ways is to buy extension tubes. They allow closer focusing so the subject is larger on the sensor / film. They are not that much, don't involve glass so they don't take away from any quality. They do however take up some light. So if you attach them to a slow lens you may not get af. But, with macro and being on a tripod you may need to be in MF anyway as a focus point may not be on what you want.

I am almost always in MF with macro, even though my extension tubes allow AF (use them with a f/2.8 macro lens too). I use a focusing rail for final focusing.

Ah, see you have D60, not sure if anyone make extension tubes for AF-I or AF-S lenses. You can still use the MF ones and the ones made for AF-D type lenses. Just be in MF, and thats not so bad.

Kenko makes an AF-D set. I got a used set for $75 about 4 years ago. There are used MF ones on ebay often. They can be stacked. But the more the more light you loose.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/52mm-Reverse-Mount-Adapter-Nikon/dp/B001G4NBSC"]Reverse mount adapter.[/ame]

You could also use a macro coupler. You just need two lenses of different focal lengths. You mount them face to face. Those rings are also about $10 (if you're really cheap you could just tape them together).

If you had a 200mm lens and a 50mm lens mounted like this, it would give you 4:1 magnification.

Last edited:
...What sort of converter would I need to shoot with my lens in reverse??

There are two completely different methods of "reversing a lens" that you will see discussed in macro forums. They require different "adapters" and function differently.

1. Mounting a reversed lens directly onto a camera body or onto bellows or extension tubes: With this method you use only the reversed lens and possible some additional extension in the form of extension tubes and/or bellows. Nikon makes are ring for doing this that is called the BR-2a ring (don't use the older plain BR-2 with AF bodies). 3rd party clones are also available. These rings have a male filter thread to screw into the lens' filter threads and, on the other side, a lens mounting flange to connect to the body or extension tubes/bellows. Nikon also offers/offered? a BR-3 that fits on the now exposed rear of the lens to protect the diaphram level and contacts and also provides a 52mm female thread to accept filters and lens caps. Using this method with a prime lens (e.g. your 50mm f/1.8) results in a fixed focus/magnification system and there is no coupling with the body. The diaphram closes as you turn the f/stop ring and doesn't open and close when taking the picture. There is also no meter coupling of any kind. Few zooms work reversed, but when they do zooming can provide some magnification adjustment. Your 50mm works extremely well reversed this way. Also, Nikon's "G" lenses, which lack f/stop rings, can't be successfully used this way. The only lens you list that will work is your 50mm.

2. Reversing a fast prime lens on the front of another lens, usually a longer focal length prime or zoom: This method uses the reversed fast prime as a closeup lens. The longer lens is mounted to the camera normally and full function is retained (i.e. focus, AF, metering). These rings have male filter threads on both sides and are often called "macro couplers". Nikon doesn't offer one, but there are many 3rd party rings available and they are generally very inexpensive. Your 50mm lens should work well on the front of your 55-200. You would need a 52mm/52mm ring for combination. Here's a B&H link to one:

General Brand | 52mm Macro Coupler (Male to Male) | BOWER | B&H

Again, Nikon's "G" lenses can't be used for the front reversed lens, but they can serve as the lens mounted to the body normally.

Don't overlook the use of a bellows attachment for macro. I just picked up an M42 mount bellows [with 55mm Takomar lens!] on eBay for $15, minty. They're available from time to time.

just search reverse lens adaptor on ebay.

I also do beleive that the wider the lense, the more zoomed it gets, and the longer the lens, the wider it is....not quite sure tho.

you can also get some extension tubes VERY cheaply on ebay. You can get all sorts of nifty things on ebay!

Most reactions

Back