How do you find good photo spots?

krisocho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking for a great spot to take engagement pictures in Riverside, CA. any tips?

The falls at Redhawk Golf Course in Temecula. Anywhere in the wine country of Temecula. Olde Towne
Go up to Idylwild (they have snow!)
Downtown Riverside around that Old Hotel ( i forget the name)

i usualy just look around, and travel a whole lot

it definitely helps to go outside once in a while... (looks at calender, and realizes that i haven't done so in a loooong time)

I'm flying to LA tomorrow evening. I'll be heading to Santa Cruz and SF. I'm hoping to get some decent shots.

I'm flying to LA tomorrow evening. I'll be heading to Santa Cruz and SF. I'm hoping to get some decent shots.
There's absolutely nothing to shoot between LA and SF ;)

Thanks all! The Mission Inn is gorgeous, but it is all decked out for Christmas and my shoot is on Friday. :(

Set something up at one of the public piers. How much of a problem would it be for you to hit Long Beach area.

As I go about my daily travels I keep my eye peeled for good locations. If I can't stop and scout a new location right then, I put it on my list and return later to have a closer look.

I keep a list of those locations I have scouted that are suitable for my needs. My list is organized such that all the locations are organized by the time of day, and time of year, they are best used.

It's almost always about the light.

Portland, Oregon I'm Jesse looking to get some really creative night shots of my cars-running short on creativity ( got a newborn daughter that needs 24 hour entertainment )...both cars are black-a 2011 accord and a 2008 Yukon. They are completely customized, blue lighting, multiple monitors...I'm shooting with the 5d II, I like using my 70-200mm L IS II, 135mm L 1:2, and my 16-35mm L f:2.8 lenses. But am definitely open to suggestions-love night cityscapes-going to hit Omsi and Tom McCall park but fishing for some really interesting ideas? Always can use advice, and I really would appreciate it...thank you

Last edited:
As I go about my daily travels I keep my eye peeled for good locations. If I can't stop and scout a new location right then, I put it on my list and return later to have a closer look.

I keep a list of those locations I have scouted that are suitable for my needs. My list is organized such that all the locations are organized by the time of day, and time of year, they are best used.

It's almost always about the light.
That's pretty much my M.O. as well. I also go on driving adventures specifically looking for shoot locations. Whenever I find a location I like, I mark it in my GPS for later use.

I also use Google Earth a lot these days to spot locations virtually, then drive out to them to confirm. You can see the locations from various angles, get an idea of what you'll be able to see from that elevation, peruse photos others have shot from many of those locations if you have Panoramio and the other photo sharing stuff turned on in the program, and so on.

I also pay a lot of attention to sunrise and sunset times, as well as compass directions to predict where the natural light will be coming from and where the shadows will fall at various times of day. Apps on my smart phone are great for that (including Google Earth on it).

Location scouting is lots of driving around .. just make sure to actually get out of the car and walk around any potential areas and not just drive by and say .. yeah that looks cool. Also make sure to log all your miles for tax deductions. Last year I racked up over 8,000 miles for scouting & shoots combined within a 30 min radius of the studio.

Portland, Oregon I'm Jesse looking to get some really creative night shots of my cars-running short on creativity ( got a newborn daughter that needs 24 hour entertainment )...both cars are black-a 2011 accord and a 2008 Yukon. They are completely customized, blue lighting, multiple monitors...I'm shooting with the 5d II, I like using my 70-200mm L IS II, 135mm L 1:2, and my 16-35mm L f:2.8 lenses. But am definitely open to suggestions-love night cityscapes-going to hit Omsi and Tom McCall park but fishing for some really interesting ideas? Always can use advice, and I really would appreciate it...thank you
T H R E A D! - H I J A C K! - A L E R T!

Sound the Netiquette Violation Alarm

Ah, give him a break, Keith. ;) Anyone with a newborn of either gender can have spastic episodes and mental blockages. :lol: When I was going through that phase, my wife would find the milk in the cupboard, and the cereal in the freezer...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back