how do you make colors pop?

carolina91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How can I make certain colors pop out in black & white photos? For example, I have a picture of myself that I made black and white (thats the easy part) but I want my eye color to pop out. I know certain cameras have this feature, I have a canon a570is and i don't think it has that. So what software can I use to do this? I already have picasa but it only has one focal point to be in color, not two. Any suggestions?

In Photoshop, after you make your photo B/W, you can zoom in and then use the History Brush to paint the area(s) – say, the eye balls – where you want the original color(s) to come back up.
That's it.
But I'm afraid I don't know what other editing apps have that same History Brush feature.

Can this be done in Photoshop elements?

The technique you are refering to is called "Selective Color". This is an extreamly popular practice, so if you run a search on Selective Color you will no doubt find a tutorial that is ideal for what ever program you have..

Can this be done in Photoshop elements?

The PSE6 manual doesn't respond to a search on 'History Brush'. But there is an 'Undo History Palette' (page 20). If you can apply that to a specifically selected part of an image, like the eyes, that would amount to the same thing as a History Brush.
Just try it out and see if it works. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, no?

If you have layers or download a layers Mask action this becomes very easy in elements.

have two layers open one black and white and one colour, the black and white needs to be the top layer, open a layer mask, use the paint brush colour black to paint over (on the layer mask) the section you want to be coloured, If you make a mistake you can paint back over with white.
I have elements 4 which didnt come with the layer mask so I had to download it. found a free download and it does the job very well

Most reactions

New Topics

Back