How do you promote yourself.

Sweetsomedays

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am giving myself roughly 6 months to prep everything to enter the world of Equine photography as more then just a hobbyist.
I have spoken with Jon, the elder btw :hail:

I am curiouse how others have promoted themselves.
I know it takes time to build a reputation. Good thing I am in no rush and don't need the money but would like to do this as more then just a hobby.
One thing I am considering doing is making flyers to put up with my business card in tack shops, local barn billboards and the like.

I'm all eyes :mrgreen:

word of mouth works like a charm, and the more people you make happy with that you have done, the more likely they will recommend you, so have some cards ready :)

Get a website and submit it to different search engines and other directory type websites. Especially the ones that let people login and write reviews. Then, once you have a few good clients start asking them to write something nice about you on those websites.
I just did a maternity session the other night and the woman found me on one of those review websites and read a really nice review that one of my other clients wrote. Gotta love word of mouth:)

I have lots of business cards that I put up everywhere and give to everyone. I also post a link to my website on craigslist.com, which is free. That by far has given me the most replies.

Word of mouth here as well :) I used to have a big show barn ( training/selling/taking clients to horseshows etc) and found word of mouth to be the best way to get new clients.

Yes, Craigslist is awesome when you are first starting out and trying to find clients, but I have noticed that there are a TON of photographers on there and the people are really just looking for the best deal and once you feel you are good enough to charge more, it's not really the best place to find clients in my opinion. But, that's not to say that I'm knocking craigslist at all. I've found some of my best clients on there.

Word of mouth is great, but also, send your really great or fun stuff off to different mags. You'd be surprised!

To take a page from the wedding industry's book - instead of just putting up brochures/cards in equine-related businesses, why not offer them some really great framed prints? Then just stick one of your business cards in the corner of the frame. People will be able to see your info, and the business gets some nice art and might talk you up to the customers.

I've given artwork to business in the past.

Both of the barbershops I patronize have framed prints hanging on their walls with business cards stuck in the corners.

One of them hasn't generated any business at all, but the other usually gets two to three clients a month for me.

The cards in tack shops is a great idea, but I have to agree in the horse world word of mouth is everything. Just do a good job, and be very kind and people will do the promoting for you!

I have handed out gosh awful amount of Business Cards, posted Flyers, gave out Post Cards.

Only way of advertising thats helped me is simply "Word of Mouth".

Someone telling their friend that you took great photos of their horse.

....or those who see you works from a horse show, that works wonders too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back