How do you store all your gear?

bigtwinky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pierrebphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We have plenty of discussions on bags to carry your gear, but what about how you store your gear at home?

Is it all in a box, multiple boxes, all over the room, in bags,...?

I'm starting to amass some gear, tripods, bags, and along with keeping original boxes for lenses and such, I am running out of space and logical storage

At the moment my setup is mostly the following

My bag (LowePro Minitrekker) holds the following:
Canon 400D+grip, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS, Sigma 150mm macro, Sigma 70mm macro, Sigma and Canon 1.4 TCs, Sigma 2*TC, Speedlite 580M2, Sunpack PF20XD, Lumiquest softbox, cable remote release, LED single bulb torch, memory cards, release plates for tripods, gloves, hat, small foldup waterproofs (trousers and top) Raynox DCR 250.

oh wait and the kit lens for my camera is in there somewhere too.

I then added a LowePro 60AW pouch to the side of the backpack and inside that I hold:
Len cleaning gear, Cir polarizers for the 70-200mm and 150mm lenses, Rocket Blower, mini ballhead, offcamera flashcord, small AA battery torch, screwdriver (for the tripod head screws), multicard reader and cable, OPTEch rainproof cover.

The rest of my gear rests in the slowly filling draw under my bed:
Canon 2*TC (I took this out of my main back in exchange for the 70mm macro, and whilst its a good teleconverter the sigma fits all my lenses whilst the canon only fits one - and both are used more rarely so no need to carry both at all times), Manfrotto 322RC2 head, focusing rail, 2 older Praktica film cameras with 50mm lenses attached and a single 28mm prime for the Prakticas, 2 old lightmeters, AAbatttery compartment for the battery grip, some other junk that I forget now......

My tripod and monopod mostly rest on the floor in a corner - I don't really have anywhere else to put them - the boxes for my gear also rest on top of a shelf - some inside each other as best I can to save on space

So in total its mostly all held in the backpack at the moment, though I do share the fear that the gear is growing and will onday spill everywhere! Mostly I just worry that I will need to get some case or container to store more lenses in as I get them and lose the abilty to carry most of them with me at all times

Since I can, I keep most of it in my bag at all times (so I can, almost, pick it up and run out the door when I'm in a hurry). There's also a flash on my camera all the time, and I'm ready to use it off-camera too (I bring my Cactus V4 transmitter and one receiver with me, and my ST-E2). Still need to get a light, er...light stand, to carry with me though. :-/

As for the other stuff (light stands, other flashes, umbrellas, grids, the majority of my gels, yadda yadda), I leave that in a rolling travel case. The stands stick-out, but meh, using what I have beats paying for those darn light stand cases (those things are expensive!).

I have more camera bags than camera gear...or at least gear that I use...so all my main gear is spread out between my most used bags. I do have several boxes of stuff that doesn't get used, like old flashes that may or may not work, lenses for cameras that I don't have, filters that are too small for the lenses I use etc...basically I have a lot of junk in boxes. I do have several antique/collectable cameras that will go on a shelf, eventually...:roll:
My lighting gear is in a rolling suitcase and the stands are in bags.

I have an office for my computer work station and for my photo gear, but I recently moved and most of the stuff is still not un-packed yet.

I think the important thing when keeping your gear stored is that you take the batteries out if it's not going to be used for a while. I've seen several ruined flashes and even a couple cameras because the batteries leaked out their acid. Also, you want things to be dry. If you have moisture trapped in a bag or case with your gear, you can get mold or fungus etc. I always save packs of silica gel and toss them into my camera bags.

My DSLR is stored on top of my tripod which is sitting in front of my mini studio for my ebay work.

Most of my film gear is in a camera bag near the studio so I can shoot it for ebay.

But I have a bunch of equipment stored in boxes in my office with no idea which box contains what. I have moved four times in the last 5 years and somes boxes have never been opened since the first move :blushing:

And recently, when checking out one of my rentals for the tenant move out, I found my light table in the attic :lol:

I have a custom made cabinet with a glass front where all my camera,lenses and flashes sit AFTER being cleaned completely after each usage. The cases for the lenses and flashes are at the bottom. All bags are completely machine washed once a year, and are vacuumed 6 times a year and wiped down after every 2nd outing. When I put something in my case, I do not want it to get dusty or dirty. My stuff is immaculately clean before each use... but I have no issues placing my camera bag into 2" of mud or on top of an ant hill, if I have no other choice when shooting outside.

All accessories I keep in 2 larger photo bags that I place in my closet (oh the storage/viewing cabinet is in a spare bedroom that is dedicated for my photo gear and I have a couple of shelves for the small photographic related library that I have collected).

I don't think it would make sense to have another cabinet made to display Cactus V2s triggers/receivers and various attachments. adapters and wires... lol

My computers... well, uhhmm... let's say that I am way overboard with that. 1/2 my basement consists of a rack mounted 12 computer gigabit LAN, fibre optic SAN and multiple monitors controlled by a nice KVM controller setup. My hydro company LOVES me... I use a lot of electricity... lol

Last edited:
Currently I have stuff all over the place. A couple cameras up on shelves on one side of the room, a couple others on my computer desk, the rest is kinda piled on a different table with some stuff in bags in various places. Some that I use a lot I just have sitting on my coffee table, like my M6 and D200.. I really should figure out a better storage solution, maybe a nice glass case, it's on my list of things to do.

Gun safe...... Oh and yes it sits witht he guns.. lol

I just purchased a lockable toolbox for my dorm room which will be locked chained to my bed. Discrete and secure.

Collectibles in display cabinets in my living room. The most used equipment are stored in my bag conveniently located near the front door. The rest are in two Pelican cases in the basement with desiccant packets.

In the camera bag: Camera batteries are charged, flash rechargeable (2 sets) are charged. 2 more sets of non rechargebles. camera batter charger. Along with memory cards and lens cloth.
In another small plastic bag, AA battery charger, second flash, lens cleaning kit (never used it). Somewhere in the garage is the tripod.

I would have to say for me the answer right now is all over the place. As we normally keep a bag or two in the kitchen sitting on a table by a love seat. Kitchen has the door we go in and out from the house.

Then there is a camera in a bag in the living room on a shelf. One that is not used that much and thinking of giving to a nephew.

Then upstairs in the hobby room. I have more camera bags with cameras, pelican case with MF cameras, shelves with more cameras, some desktop storage basket's with cameras, lenses, and photo gear in them.

Basically the stuff on the upper shelves I don't use any more. And the lower shelves have the overflow of equipment I either have more than 1 of, or used less frequently.

Then I have a storage area, where I keep my LF gear, some extra lighting and backdrops. Then in 2 other areas I have storage for my Jobo processing equipment.

And finally I have my 2 biggest items in their own storage room in my storage building along with some extra light stands.

Oh, and in the small garage there is a smaller apartment sized refrigerator that I keep film in.

Basically you would be hard pressed not to open a door somewhere in my house and not find something photographic there. There are litterally photography books on a shelf in every room but the kitchen I think. One of the things wife wants to do is a built in wall sized book case to combine all the books in one spot. Basically make a library / office of a room we don't use much anymore.

In a bag (Domke f2). So far, it all still fits.

...I plan on changing that very soon though. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back