How does Lee Jeffries get this effect?

The look is very dramatic, but if you've been paying attention to the right corners of the industry it's actually pretty conventional. Not paying attention to every ridiculous corner of the fashion world is, of course, not a crime. He's combining some fashion tropes with some homeless-people-portraits tropes with some pretty dramatic looking people.
Every time the TPF crowd is enjoying a photo or artist, you are there with a dismissive comment. In this case, to dismiss a photographer that's respected worldwide, your weapon of choice is the "it's been done thousands of times" argument. Newsflash for you: everything has been invented. Every new style or idea is a mesh of previous styles or ideas. Your posts tend to be a combination of 5% backhanded positive comments and 95% outright negative stuff that never comes across as constructive. Here's a novel idea for you: how about inverting the equation for a change?

I've only read two or three of your posts today, enough to tell you're on a roll.

You'll notice that I wrote the only reply to actually address the OP's question. My remarks on the guy's work are simply factual, if you want to read them as dismissive, feel free. I don't actually care what your opinion of me is.

Okay folks, let's try and keep this at least semi on-topic and not turn it into a discussion on types or styles of photography or the photograph or don't photograph the homeless debate?

K?

Thanks!

The look is very dramatic, but if you've been paying attention to the right corners of the industry it's actually pretty conventional. Not paying attention to every ridiculous corner of the fashion world is, of course, not a crime. He's combining some fashion tropes with some homeless-people-portraits tropes with some pretty dramatic looking people.
Every time the TPF crowd is enjoying a photo or artist, you are there with a dismissive comment. In this case, to dismiss a photographer that's respected worldwide, your weapon of choice is the "it's been done thousands of times" argument. Newsflash for you: everything has been invented. Every new style or idea is a mesh of previous styles or ideas. Your posts tend to be a combination of 5% backhanded positive comments and 95% outright negative stuff that never comes across as constructive. Here's a novel idea for you: how about inverting the equation for a change?

I've only read two or three of your posts today, enough to tell you're on a roll.

You'll notice that I wrote the only reply to actually address the OP's question. My remarks on the guy's work are simply factual, if you want to read them as dismissive, feel free. I don't actually care what your opinion of me is.
You'll also notice that what I quoted is not your only reply. Your only reply was fine and I'm sure the OP appreciated it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It kind of reminds me of a digital version of a wet plate process. Personally, I love the haunted look of wet plates. A contemporary that uses traditional wet plate process is Sally Mann.

# 11. Striking resemblance to Gandalf the Grey???? Did anyone else notice.

Strong set. The lighting looks modified in post to some extent.

Its always good to have one or two very critical members like him or it'd be a boring bland forum. And we'd bail out.

Ive been studying him for a while...
To me looks like multiple layers, burning, dodging, painting, mid-tone contrast bumps, Hi-pass filter adjustment, and the backgrounds are almost always changed to some gritty pattern, (some of which are the same on several pictures) with blending modes changed to get a more gritty feel. I just posted a dog picture with similar effects. The Hi-Pass filter is his friend. I think thats how he achieves the gritty, painful look. -every pore, and wrinkle is accentuated...

Looks like a lot of post processing. Not a bad thing - just my observation.

They almost approach and HDR-ish Dragan effect on some of the photos.

The only thing that I wish would be phased out or innovated somehow is the use of a gritty texture/background. This seems sooooooo prominent nowadays with fine art photographers (and popular ones at that) that it's almost cliche now...like selective color. I like to think of it as the "Brooke Shaden Effect."

It does work in many of these images, but personally I'm a little tired of it....

Last edited:
Are we going to talk about how he profits from the homeless????

This again?

Some people think this is exploitive, some think its art, and some don't care.

We are all entitled to our opinions.

There, can we all move on?

I was joking forgot to put the :lol:

The only thing that I wish would be phased out or innovated somehow is the use of a gritty texture/background. This seems sooooooo prominent nowadays with fine art photographers (and popular ones at that) that it's almost cliche now...like selective color. I like to think of it as the "Brooke Shaden Effect."

It does work in many of these images, but personally I'm a little tired of it....

Agree. It feels rather nostalgic or something.

Really, the whole series reminds me of Diane Arbus on digital wet plates. I don't know if that is good or bad.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back