How does this lens compare to the Tamron 18-400mm ..

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED Lens Thinking of getting this one today.. just thought it would be nice to have a lighter weight when i walk through the woods for bird shots.. i know it is a reasonably cheap lens.. so like to hear if it is worth my spending.. or should i wait and get a better one..and would it be compatible to the D500 camera.. thanks

Last edited:
Thinking of getting this one today.. just thought it would be nice to have a lighter weight when i walk through the woods for bird shots.. i know it is a reasonably cheap lens.. so like to hear if it is worth my spending.. or should i wait and get a better one..and would it be compatible to the D500 camera.. thanks

What lens model are you thinking of getting?

If weight is an issue, perhaps you could consider using a harness instead of a neckstrap. I am so happy with my decision to change to one. I bought a dual, so I can even carry 2 cameras more comfortably than a single around my neck.

Thinking of getting this one today.. just thought it would be nice to have a lighter weight when i walk through the woods for bird shots.. i know it is a reasonably cheap lens.. so like to hear if it is worth my spending.. or should i wait and get a better one..and would it be compatible to the D500 camera.. thanks

What lens model are you thinking of getting?
that would help... sorry.. such a rush i forgot to add it.. .

If weight is an issue, perhaps you could consider using a harness instead of a neckstrap. I am so happy with my decision to change to one. I bought a dual, so I can even carry 2 cameras more comfortably than a single around my neck.
thats a great idea.. but no it is not really an issue.. just thought it would be better to have a lighter weight lens that could do about the same.. in general i want to start purchasing some Nikkor lenses and sell my tamron lens eventually.. so just wanted to know if this lens... Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED Lens would be okay... and if so i thought i would buy myself this lens for starters and next month i can choose a more expensive better one from hubby for my b-day..lol

The D500 is such a great camera body - if you don't put some nice glass on it - you won't get the full potential of your considerable investment in the body. Better to wait and save.

I think most people who get serious about birds end up in the 500 or 600mm focal length because the reach of a longer lens is so vital to capture birds. But then there is a serious commitment to carrying a monster lens around. It's a big deal.

My opinion is don't get that DX 70-300 f/4.5-6.3. There is a better version of 70-300 that has VR and is a little faster, maybe get that one as an easy to carry zoom - but I bet you'd still be wishing for longer focal length and better quality.
https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equi...ses/nikon-af-s-70-300mm-f-4-5-5-6-g-if-ed-vr/

Get some great glass to match the awesome D500

The D500 is such a great camera body - if you don't put some nice glass on it - you won't get the full potential of your considerable investment in the body. Better to wait and save.

I think most people who get serious about birds end up in the 500 or 600mm focal length because the reach of a longer lens is so vital to capture birds. But then there is a serious commitment to carrying a monster lens around. It's a big deal.

My opinion is don't get that DX 70-300 f/4.5-6.3. There is a better version of 70-300 that has VR and is a little faster, maybe get that one as an easy to carry zoom - but I bet you'd still be wishing for longer focal length and better quality.
Used Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G IF ED VR lens - mpb.com

Get some great glass to match the awesome D500
okay you totally convinced me.. i will wait.. now i have to figure out which great lens.. about $1200 would you recommend that may be somewhat smaller monster that does well. .. i will have to start whispering it in his ear soon.. thanks for all your info.. very helpful

It's a very personal decision... and I'm not a walking lenscylopedia like Derrel :)

Does your 18-400 typically give you enough focal length?

If it is really important to catch those birds soaring above and in distant trees, then 400, 500, 600mm is where you need to be. My choice for birds/wildlife was the Tamron 150-600 G2. If you want to know what it is like to carry, get a 5 pound chicken from the grocery store and carry it around your neck all day :)

It's a very personal decision... and I'm not a walking lenscylopedia like Derrel :)

Does your 18-400 typically give you enough focal length?

If it is really important to catch those birds soaring above and in distant trees, then 400, 500, 600mm is where you need to be. My choice for birds/wildlife was the Tamron 150-600 G2. If you want to know what it is like to carry, get a 5 pound chicken from the grocery store and carry it around your neck all day :)
haha... i know what that feels like.. thanks for your reply.. i will need to think this through.. yes i do love going further zoom.. i never seem quite satisfied with the 18-4oo ... especially when i tried so hard to get this bald eagle in better view... frustrating.. i kind of blamed the lens itself.. but i have gone through all the settings and i think i have as near perfect as i can..so tomorrow out again to practice and test..thank you
1-eagles or hawks 076.JPG
One thing how do you mount that monster onto the camera..does it easily dismount or do you need tools lol

Last edited:
If the 400mm end of your lens isn't getting you close enough, then a monster lens is in your future...

Caution, though, there is no lens on earth that will turn that vulture into a bald eagle lol

Best luck with your pursuit I enjoy the photos you share!

If the 400mm end of your lens isn't getting you close enough, then a monster lens is in your future...

Caution, though, there is no lens on earth that will turn that vulture into a bald eagle lol

Best luck with your pursuit I enjoy the photos you share!
wow you made me roll over in laughter... lol yes i put up the wrong photo... omg.. i truly saw a bald eagle... i will have to find it..thank you Zulu ...lolololol

I have heard that AF-P DX version of the 70-300mm is sharper at 300mm than the VR FX version. I have the 70-300mm VR version and have used it a great deal over the past 10 years. It is a good lens, but is known to be a bit soft at 300mm.

Really for the D500 (a camera I was close to picking up before I jumped on a used D800e) is best matched with the 200-500 zoom or the new 500mm P lens if you are going after birds.

Last edited:
I have heard that AF-P DX version of the 70-300mm is sharper at 300mm then the VR FX version. I have the 70-300mm VR version and have used it a great deal over the past 10 years. It is a good lens, but is known to be a bit soft at 300mm.

Really for the D500 (a camera I was close to picking up before I jumped on a used D800e) is best matched with the 200-500 zoom or the new 500mm P lens if you are going after birds.
Thanks i will check it out!

Most reactions

Back