Not open for further replies.

Nikkor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Closed.

Last edited:
Not to sound negative (and take what I say with a grain of salt) but you need a crapload of experience, and good (read as great) preforming gear. A wedding (optimally) should be a once-in-a-lifetime event. You don't wanna snafu that for them.

Granted, I don't know your experience level. If you really think you're ready to go pro, talk to someone you know or someone near you that shoots wedding. Have you done any professional work yet? I would strongly advise shooting something else professionally before you go and do a full-blown wedding.

Granted, I don't know your experience level. If you really think you're ready to go pro, talk to someone you know or someone near you that shoots wedding. Have you done any professional work yet? I would strongly advise shooting something else professionally before you go and do a full-blown wedding.

I've shot:
8 weddings
13 engagement sessions
26 newborns
15 seniors

And a massive amount of just family shoots, etc.

I just wasn't sure what everybody used to determine if you were pro or not.

But what's your work look like? Let's see!

~Michael~

also, one would need to know the ins and outs of business

I have seen your work in another thread, and I thought it looked pretty good. It is much better than the work of people in my area who call themselves professional.
Only you can determine if it's time to go fulltime, and it's not just about having a good portfolio. You have to weigh how much time you can invest in marketing and promoting yourself. I am not fulltime yet, but sometimes it sure feels like it. I blog actively, I use Facebook like a shameless whore, I utilize SEO, I mail brochures, I go around to local bridal shops to make new friends, make appointments, send out billing, send out albums, prints, etc, etc.

If you love doing it, and have your ducks in a row, go for it! Better now than later. :thumbup:

i was lucky enough to get an internship with a local photographer, shes amazing, and is still teaching me everything she knows. i picked up quick, and was able to make enough to buy her used equipment off of her. i between the gigs i did with her and the ones i picked up on my own i did 20-30 weddings this year, and this is still my first year getting into this. i try not to think about my status and just try to focus more on having fun.

i cant remeber the last update i did cause of school but feel free to see my stuff at
theswayspot.blogspot.com
ill update it after school ends next week

Ok, here's my story and my opinions.
Professional photographer, #1 can replicate his work time and time again if needs be, #2 make a living using this skill, #3 underwent some sort of formal/informal education in terms of lighting, composition, exposure, developing? post processing, etc etc #4 has backup gear if anything goes wrong - might not be 100% accurate but I think it's pretty close to it.
I started 10+ yrs assisting wedding photographer. Learned how to roll 120 and 220 film (it was the most important job I had :) ), learned lighting, exposure, posing, etc etc. First time I was given a camera to shoot part of the reception was probably around 2003. In 2005 my photographer went digital and about a year after that I bought my own digital camera and started taking it on the jobs :) and altering the style for digital.
Today, I have a pleasure for working with few different/photographer (different camera brands, styles of shooting, lighting, etc). I have an opportunity to take what I like from various styles and incorporate into mine. The only bad thing is that if/when I shoot, I don't get to retain the images.

Last edited:

I've shot:
8 weddings
13 engagement sessions
26 newborns
15 seniors

And a massive amount of just family shoots, etc.

I just wasn't sure what everybody used to determine if you were pro or not.

Do you make 50% of your main income ?

oh no... not another pro/amateur thread

Another one of the many never ending debates.

There are so many levels/classifications of a professional photographer. Then you have all the people that consider professional quality as pro...

There's no way to give a definite answer to the debate or the question of how?

IgsEMT's definition seems like a pretty good definition to classify "photography as a profession".

Photography as business = 75% business + 15% photography + 25% client's BS :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back