What's new

How go to Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
THAT much client BS involved
Oh yeah. But this isn't the thread for Wedding/War Stories :D
 
It always cracks me up to see how little people know about "business". I don't care what kind, either.
 
It always cracks me up to see how little people know about "business". I don't care what kind, either.
lol, exactly why I have no intentions on operating one.
 
The reason why they say photography is less important then marketing, because photography should already be a technical given. The photographer has to know what their doing to an almost subconscious level beforehand. However to keep your business alive the marketing has to be consistently pushed and the business name has to be out there. So the Key is marketing(business skill) a good product(editing,workflow,albums..etc).
 
The reason why they say photography is less important then marketing, because photography should already be a technical given. The photographer has to know what their doing to an almost subconscious level beforehand. However to keep your business alive the marketing has to be consistently pushed and the business name has to be out there. So the Key is marketing(business skill) a good product(editing,workflow,albums..etc).
can i get an AMEN :)
 
Well i think if your've shot

"8 weddings
13 engagement sessions
26 newborns
15 seniors
And a massive amount of just family shoots, etc. "
Then i'd classify you as pro!! :thumbup:
 
Basically, you turn "Pro" once you start making money. But that is just the general term.

I would describe it much like EgsEMT did.....
1. Consistant work (the people get the same level of work that they see when they view your portfolio)
2. Terrific business skills (Giving work "away" is easy. Selling it is hard. Be able to sell your work for what it is worth, and be able to sell it against like experienced, like priced competitors)
3. Making enough to live off of (Could your photography business replace your "old job", moneywise?) ...I know part timers who can answer "yes" so it's not a full time vs. part time question.
4. Great customer service (do you have the time to dedicate to giving your clients the very best you can?)
5. Are you charging enough to make a true profit? (Is your gear payed off in cash by past jobs...advertising...paperwork...products...and at the very least your time?)
6. And most importantly are you displaying professional results? (This will vary depending on the amount of experience level, equipment level, customer service level, selling ability, pricing, and final product.)
7. Are you paying your states sales tax and carrying the required liability bonds? (Anyone can buy a camera and put up a website, but not everyone is paying their sales tax, which is easily disclosed, nor the state required liability bonds. Believe me, there is a shark fest on the sales tax alone....If a person is making money off of photography, and not paying the sales tax on their state, it's an easy breezy search to find out. The competitor photog who turns in the non paying photog gets a "deal" on their next quarter. Don't confuse this with Federal Tax. It is different. I've seen a ton of photogs go down this way. Liability bonds are a different matter. My state requires "real" photographers to carry a 1 million dollar liability policy. It costs about $500 a year. If you book a client, and don't have the required bond, you can't work the venue. If you can't work the venue, you can be sued by the client.

So basically, there is a lot to think about. You can be a pro based on earning abilities, but "going" pro is much more. It's not just about having a camera and taking photos. There is a lot of finacial and legal stuff to be attended to. There is a lot you need to do to cover your butt, and your client's butts.

I wish you well on your endevors. I honestly do.
 
It always cracks me up to see how little people know about "business". I don't care what kind, either.

Can I have an "Amen!" ?

I'm not referring to this poster or her background, because I really have no idea. But you are dead on about how little some people know about all the business aspects involved...much of it legal. I can't tell you how many people I have seen get into real legal trouble because they thought selling photography was just about having a camera and a website.

Not to discourage anyone. Just know the legal ins and out so that you are protected. And know how to sell, and not "give away".
 
Earning a living a photography is very difficult. Once I sat down and tried to come up with a number for what I would have to make to break even with what I make currently at my day job I was pretty surprised by how bit that number was.
Now just doing to make some extra cash is a whole other proposition.

Go to a website where a lot of professional wedding photographers hang out. Post some of your work on there and see what they tell you.

I have seen none of your work, having shot some weddings etc, does not mean your work is any good, there are a lot of really BAD photographers out there charging money for their services, and a LOT of people who can't tell the difference between good photography and bad, paying them for those mediocre services.

If people who obviously know what they are talking about tell you your stuff is good then go for it, and I wish you the best of luck.
 
"Professional" is not a word I'd go throwing around even if I felt I was deserving of it. It's not something that is going to get you more business or attract more customers being that anyone could put that on their website/business card. Most people paying for your services (and unaware of the industry) will assume that you carry that title anyways. Plus, the customers who know photography will more heavily scrutinize your equipment/skills/pricing/etc. which adds more pressure than it's worth. Just be a photographer, no need to add other words to describe yourself as your work should be doing the talking.
 
Actually you asked how to go Pro, and those were the type of responses you received.
If you want to know when you can call yourself a professional, that is different.
These days there are so many "professionals" who do not turn out "professional" quality work, that saying you are a professional doesn't mean much.
 
How exactly do you go Pro? Does it vary on your location?

that is what it says

No biggee, the biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has occured.
I hope you got the info you were looking for..regardless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom