How is this lighting achieved?

jakie8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just joined and I am looking forward to talking to you all on this forum!

Here for instance, is a photograph of some guy I found. How did Miss Kay achieve the straight black background but a well lit man? What kind of area could she have been in? Is this photoshopped at all? other than to desaturate a bit I am assuming...

Here is the image:

l_35fc180f581344429db12a2fd17c1710.jpg

It's a combination of a lot of things. But for starters, I'll just assume that you don't know that you shouldn't post someone else's photo anywhere. It's copyright infringement. The proper thing to do if to link back to the place that they had it displayed.

Moving on. It's more likely shot on a black background, possibly velvet since it's so completely black. But it is possible to do that sort of this with any color, by controlling light to background distances. If the background is far enough away then the lights that are lighting the subject won't reach the background. Just go out in a parking lot or sports field, and light you subject however you want. Keep the shot on the upper portion of the person, and keep the camera angle low and straight on, that way none of the ground is in the picture fo the first 30-40 feet. That way since the first thing in the picture besides him is so far away, it will be totally black.

Ah, thank you for informing me on the copyright infringement, I'll be sure to link back from now on.

And I highly doubt they used a flash on their camera, what is the average type eof light source in an image like this? Sorry for being such a n00b!

:]

And I highly doubt they used a flash on their camera, what is the average type eof light source in an image like this?
Looks like several strobes or studio lights were used. A softbox or octobox to the left of the subject (camera right), another one from high on the left side of the subject (camera right) and possibly a bare strobe from the back-right side of the subject (camera left) for a rim light affect on the right side of the subject.

Lighting Schemes

StudioStyles

Lighting 102: 1.2 Position | Distance

Strobist

Strobist: Lighting 101

Strobist: Lighting 102

is it copyright infringement if he didnt claim the picture as his own? also the watermark is intact... id say ur ok as long as u dont change the photo or claim it as ur own.

but hey - im not a lawyer

is it copyright infringement if he didnt claim the picture as his own? also the watermark is intact... id say ur ok as long as u dont change the photo or claim it as ur own.

Actually, it's in the Forum Rules and Regulations that a forum member agrees not to port an image that isn't his/hers.

From the Forum Rules and Regulations: "* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated."

Thank you all, you have been very helpful. I'll try not to get sued!

-Jacob

I think it still is because you're still using and replicating someone else's image without their consent.

back light and side light - nice lighting.

Not side light, Rembrandt light. The triangle on the camera left cheek is a tell tale sign.

Almost side. The triangle could come from just a simple strobe camera right, feathered and angled. The light on the cheek is spill past the nose.

Thank you all, you have been very helpful. I'll try not to get sued!

It's not a question of getting sued... it is a question of forum rules and etiquette, Jacob. Posting someone else's work is not permitted.

that background could be a white wall for all we know. it all depends on the shutter speed used.

I think we've sorted out its a combination of two lights, one above right, one from the left. If both are flagged (gobo'd) correctly so that none of the flash spills over onto the background, or the subject is pulled far enough off the background you could easily turn a white wall black with a 1/250+ shutter speed. Heck even a dimly lit room and longer than 1/250th and i've been able to turn white walls black.

HA HA!!!!! I did a shot like that on accident. The left flash didnt trigger. Damn Im good. LOL!!! Ive been mainly working with a black back drop so Ive been experiementing with these types of shots. Alot.

That... And well for the ongest time I only had one black backdrop! :lol:

i have a very light grey wall in my apartment i use. i can nuke it white or make it black. not to mention with gels i can turn it any color of the rainbow

Most reactions

New Topics

Back