How Many?

300- 600 every day?You'll be buying a new shutter faster than you think! If I'm fooling around learning settings I might snap off 10-20 pics. Otherwise if I'm out at a party or event of some sort 200-400 sounds about right. If your taking 600 pics and only getting 5-20 pics worth keeping. i would say you should be well familiarized with your cam by now to take a couple of seconds and think about what your shooting, before you take the shot. I was doing the same thing you were when i first got my Dslr but now I really sit back and think b4 I shoot. I get allot more keepers than b4.

in the 60's in school we where expected to shoot about 100 feet a day, which is about 720 images.

At first glance that seem over kill, but what it does ;you learn your camera, you learn learn learn.

I don't think it is so crazy to do what your doing. Your learning your equpment, reviewing your work and hopefully will begin to see patterns of interest as well as grow with technical knowledge.
You will become more selective, find yourself attracted to specific subject matter, etc. and your input will drop.

At first you probably won't have as many "keepers", but as you increase your knowledge and experience that will also increase.

Do what makes your happy not what other think,

there are going to be very "dry" times, when creatively your going to feel stuck. this is also part of the creative process; don't panic.

Most of all, have fun.

Thanks Ann :) I am having a great time! I really love photography and I dont even care if I ware out a camera. I learn by doing, it really is just my style.

when i first got my camera i was taking 400-600 a day too,
so you aint alone in your nutiness.

today i went out and took like 200.

Thanks Ann :) I am having a great time! I really love photography and I dont even care if I ware out a camera. I learn by doing, it really is just my style.

If you have enough money to not worry about burning out your shutter/camera...should've just bought the D300 instead of starting out with a D40. At this rate you'll reach the 50K mark withing 100 days of owning your camera (little over three months) YIKES! Wish I had that kind of money......<sigh>

If you have enough money to not worry about burning out your shutter/camera...should've just bought the D300 instead of starting out with a D40. At this rate you'll reach the 50K mark withing 100 days of owning your camera (little over three months) YIKES! Wish I had that kind of money......<sigh>
thats exactly what I was thinking. I wasnt sure but I thought that was the average 50-60k life of a shutter. not saying that won't go more. But 1 camera in 3 months is pretty fast to burn up a camera that you only got 2500 pics that were keepers out of. When I heard that that was the average life span of a shutter I had to take a step back and do the math. Thats when I started to read alot more about settings and how to use my dlsr the right way. Now It only takes a couple of shots to get what I want to acheive in a pic. 300-600 and only 5-20 keepers says to me you think your still using a point and shoot camera. thats the only way i can see throwing out that many photos! If you read enough and ask enough questions there is no reason to have 580 pictures to throw out a day! I am no where near being a good photographer but the more I read the less mistakes I make in my pics. Now don't get me wrong i whent on a hike a few days ago and snapped off 180 pics or so and not many of them were great but the majority could be saved with a little adjusting on PS

I shoot on full manual most of the time. Gosh I didnt know I would upset people with my excitment for my new hobby. It isnt like they are all crap, I just only keep ones I really like and I am proud of. 90% of them are decent. Anyways, you have to remember I have kids I am taking photos of, including our trips to the zoo, holiday parties, my daughter is starting to walk....it adds up quickly.

*sigh*

I shoot on full manual most of the time. Gosh I didnt know I would upset people with my excitement for my new hobby. It isnt like they are all crap, I just only keep ones I really like and I am proud of. 90% of them are decent. Anyways, you have to remember I have kids I am taking photos of, including our trips to the zoo, holiday parties, my daughter is starting to walk....it adds up quickly.

*sigh*
No, don't get it wrong. Your not upsetting anyone. Just reminding you that it is possible to wear out your shutter. And being new into a dlsr also, Id be pissed off if my camera broke after only 3 months. I was doing the same thing taking 1,000's of pics trying to learn the settings on my cam.(it's not hard to do when your not waisting film) but when i found that the shutters wear out.I took a step back and started thinking more about my shot. (It made me realize that I am defiantly not playing with a P&S) your shutter may never wear out. I have 12 cameras here, anywhere from the 1940's to today, that all still work.but with how cheap electronics are made today I will put $$ on my new Dlsr will be the first to break. thats all anyone is getting to. Just letting you know ,if you do the math from the manufactures shutter life, 3 -4 months is pretty fast to wear out such a nice,expensive camera.

I've never heard of anybody wearing out their shutters on any modern DSLR. What are these things rated for usually? 100,000 shots?

I've never heard of anybody wearing out their shutters on any modern DSLR. What are these things rated for usually? 100,000 shots?
I heard 60,000 But I'm not positive. if you do the math 600 pics a day she'll hit 60,000 in no time. Like i said a couple of times now. it might never wear out but I have read of people doing it.

well it sounds like she's slowing down anyways. You always shoot more when you first start trying to learn your camera. And doesn't the 1yr warranty cover everything regardless of number of shutter actuations? I'm pretty sure Nikon's does, but I've never heard of anyone maxing out and ending up breaking the shutter within the warranty periods.

When they state the shutter life, they rate it at the MTBF or mean time between failures. If it's rated at 60k, that's just where they rated it at under whatever test conditions they use. I think a well-maintained and clean camera that isn't used in extreme condtions will probably go well-beyond the "rated" shutter life.

*sigh* slow down? Yeah! Now I am afraid to touch my camera. :(

I wouldn't worry about it. It's like not wanting to drive your new car because you know that when you hit a certain mileage something "might" break. It's silly. :) Just keep shooting (and driving). Even if you do wear out the shutter *and* you're outside of the warranty period, it probably wouldn't cost more than $100-200 to fix. I have no idea how Canon is with repairs, but I've seen some thoroughly beat up Nikons that were brought back to new condition for a repair bill of less than $200 at a Nikon service center. It's not like if you wear out the shutter your whole $700 camera is destroyed and you need to buy a whole new one. If you blow up the transmission in your $25,000 car, does that mean you need to buy a whole new $25,000 car? No, you spend a couple grand on rebuilding the transmission and then keep on driving. Or a hundred bucks or two on a new shutter and then keep on shooting. ;)

Don't worry about "burning" our your camera. If it happens it happens, but don't let it stop you from taking pictures. I would guess something else on your camera goes bad long before the shutter does (LCD Screen, buttons, dials, etc).

Mav you beat me to my post...

Like Mav stated, you can always get your shutter replaced...it's not like the sensor or something goes bad.

I wouldn't worry too much about the shutter, you either use it or you don't. As long as you enjoy it. You either take the pictures now or you take the pictures later. When you take them should be irrelavant. As long as you enjoy it.

400-600 a day is an incredible amount though, do you go to a lot of places?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back