How much did you charge for your very first photo shoot

topazsol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Technically I am not a professional yet because I have never been paid to do a photo shoot. But I got my very 1st customer. She wants me to photograph her sister's wedding reception. I vowed to never do weddings but this is just the reception a week after the wedding and I am told it is very casual, more of a family get together. A friend of mine asked me to do it and I agreed. I told her $50 for however many edited photos on a disc. I am going to take a lot of photos and I'll just put the ones I like the most on a disc. I know this price is very low but I am so new to photography still, I got my camera in May and since then I have been taking non stop photos, getting steadily better. I just want to finally go ahead and do it.

Did you charge way more than this for your 1st shoot? How much did you charge and what did it include?

I charged nothing until I was confident enough in my skills to warrant charging. Less legal trouble that way. You can say "I'm still in the learning process, but after the images are delivered, I will accept tips or donations."

Topazsol this is a fine start off price. I charged $35 for my first family photo shoot on the grounds I was just getting started and my equipment was basic i.e. cheap to begin with so if the photographs did not turn out perfect then the complaints would be minimal at best. (you get what you pay for) But as it turned out I was better than I gave myself credit for and the family gladly paid $35 for 1 11x10, 8x11 , 6 wallets and a few hours time shoot.

Again I think your price for your maiden shoot is more than appropriate and fair.

Artook

I charged nothing until I was confident enough in my skills to warrant charging. Less legal trouble that way. You can say "I'm still in the learning process, but after the images are delivered, I will accept tips or donations."
A great way to start out

I think made $200 off my first photo shoot when I was 13 years old. Sold 6 photos from a professional football game for use in a game day program. Back in 1969 it was a huge sum of money, especially to a 13 year old.

^+1
And while I like Tyler's wording better, the two times I have not managed to talk someone OUT of the idea of having ME do their portraits, I've said something more like: "Flowers and bugs are one thing, but I have zero people photography skills, so if you continue to absolutely insist, knowing both my skill level and my equipment (or lack thereof), then I will do it. But I will not charge you upfront, and then after the images are delivered, and you see just how bad they s*ck, you can go pay a real portrait photographer and get what you actually want." :lol:

The first time I had this conversation was in April, when I relented and did a portrait shoot of my niece, her hubby, their baby and 5 other family members. It was, in my opinion, an unmitigated disaster, but they oohed and aahed and seemed to genuinely LOVE the godawful photos I created.

The second time I had this conversation was today. I suspect the results will be just about the same. :lol:

I made $100 my "fake first shoot"........... it was a wedding. Lmao yeah... they turned out horrible. But it was more of a "omg... no photographer we need someone quick and cheap" so thats where I came in. I didn't want to take the money but they insisted (because I know that i'm not ready to do weddings, nor am I sure I ever will be lol.) but my first real shoot i charged $75 for senior pictures. They turned out great and she really really liked them. So my first shoot I made $75. :)

Btw I think only YOU can tell how much you can charge because you know the quility and the level of your skills.

good luck!

I charged $100 for my first wedding which was also my first paid photo shoot. I would have charged more but it was for a friend and was last minute notice.

My second wedding i bumped it up to $500. I probably made $300 profit after its all said and done. With that i included a free mini wedding accordion style pocket album and all of the printed proofs.

At the moment i use a canon EOS 1v and Canon EOS 3 camera bodies. I only own a 50mm f/1.8 so i rent for weddings the following:
50mm f/1.2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 100mm f/2.8.

The reason i rent is because it only costs me less than $100 to rent all four of those lenses for one day. So until i start getting 20 or 30 weddings a year, its really not financially smart to buy them all.

I spent less than $1000 on my whole kit and that gives me two pro camera bodies and a 50mm prime lens. Try doing that with a digital slr :)

Think about it as business before photography. Whether you charge 1 cent or $50, if you charged any amount for services, and if you're sued, those fifty dollars you earned is the change you'll need towards the $5000 you'll need just to retain counsel to defend you. That number is small compared to the number if you lose. Either way you're out. I dont know what the lawsuit laws are in Oregon are, but here in Texas, you can sue someone in small claims court for up to $10K for a mere $75 application fee. That makes it enticing and affordable for anyone, especially a disgruntled bride or mother inlaw, to get some payback on wedding expenses.

I'm still an amateur photographer myself, but not new to business, and not new to lawsuits. Before you spend money on advertising, spend it on insurance and contracts. I wouldnt even pass out business cards until you protect yourself. Once you're covered, your confidence will increase significantly allowing you to be creative unencumbered by worries. Oh, don't forget to LLC yourself.

Last edited:

Not sure why you think not charging is some sort of protection, but if you want to go with that, feel free.

To the OP, "I got my camera in May and since then I have been taking non stop photos, getting steadily better", wow, you've had your camera for 2 months, and you've hung out your shingle. That's a month more than most new pros here, lol. You should be charging at least $60!

Technically I am not a professional yet because I have never been paid to do a photo shoot. But I got my very 1st customer. She wants me to photograph her sister's wedding reception. I vowed to never do weddings but this is just the reception a week after the wedding and I am told it is very casual, more of a family get together. A friend of mine asked me to do it and I agreed. I told her $50 for however many edited photos on a disc. I am going to take a lot of photos and I'll just put the ones I like the most on a disc. I know this price is very low but I am so new to photography still, I got my camera in May and since then I have been taking non stop photos, getting steadily better. I just want to finally go ahead and do it.

Did you charge way more than this for your 1st shoot? How much did you charge and what did it include?
FREE OF CHARGE, you are not experienced at all. Making them pay for inexperience isn't fair

I think $50 it is!

My first freelance shoot got me about $300 after all was said and done. I charge between $250-$300 now.

First gig was $300 Engagement photos and Engagement Tea Ceremony video.

It's all depends on how good, and confident you are. I was a fast learner so it wasn't hard to me, and I knew I can deliver quality over $300.

Most reactions

Back