How much did you charge for your very first photo shoot

I got practice, experience, lunch and a few brews :thumbup:

topazsol said:
I think $50 it is!

Good job, haha.

I mean no offense to the "FREE OF CHARGE, you're not experienced at all" person..
But if you have shown samples of work and you have warned them beforehand, then they should know what they're getting.
Aside from that, that is an entire evening of shooting and another day or more (depending how fast you work) of editing.
50 is not too much for some nice memories and that much time to put in.
If they didn't have you, I'm sure they would take snapshots themselves, which could be awful!!
I know how people that don't know about photography take pictures...
They'll take a picture of mostly background mess and hardly the subject
or they will overexpose with flash (and think it looks just fine)
or take all posed pictures and no candids.
(mind you I havent seen your work but any amount of studying photography will help and the fact that you participate in a photo forum can only be a good thing-- as far as your dedication to learning goes)
50 is a small price to pay for ACTUALLY VIEWABLE memories.. So good luck. Do research beforehand and don't let us down haha :)

Btw, although I dont think fifty is far fetched for this job, I do agree with the "I'm still learning, tips/donations are appreciated after you see the pictures" approach.
Seems very reasonable, especially since you want experience :)

Experience= priceless

orljustin said:
Not sure why you think not charging is some sort of protection, but if you want to go with that, feel free.

To the OP, "I got my camera in May and since then I have been taking non stop photos, getting steadily better", wow, you've had your camera for 2 months, and you've hung out your shingle. That's a month more than most new pros here, lol. You should be charging at least $60!

No money exchanging hands negates any possibility of going to court.

How is that not playing it safe?

orljustin said:
Not sure why you think not charging is some sort of protection, but if you want to go with that, feel free.

To the OP, "I got my camera in May and since then I have been taking non stop photos, getting steadily better", wow, you've had your camera for 2 months, and you've hung out your shingle. That's a month more than most new pros here, lol. You should be charging at least $60!

Again, I'm not sure why you think that negates any possible liability.

Because a photographer that offered to shoot for free and made the client aware that they an amateur photographer, yet rendered images deemed unsatisfactory by the client would not be found liable or suffer any loss in court. The client made the choice to go with someone offering their work for free rather than seeking a professional. It would be laughed out of a courtroom.

On the other side of the coin, a photographer charging $100 to a client with certain expectations for their money, yet not being able to deliver on the expected images, would stand to loose at least $100 if brought to small claims court. In addition to negative publicity for their "business venture."

orljustin said:

Again, I'm not sure why you think that negates any possible liability.

What proof would the client have of any kind of transaction between the photographer and them? And besides, depending on the law, rendering a service and exchanging money is a business transaction, which requires a business licenses etc...

It's kind of hard to prove damages to a court that has no proof of anything.

It went way better than expected! Everyone was happy all around. :)

Because a photographer that offered to shoot for free and made the client aware that they an amateur photographer, yet rendered images deemed unsatisfactory by the client would not be found liable or suffer any loss in court. The client made the choice to go with someone offering their work for free rather than seeking a professional. It would be laughed out of a courtroom.

On the other side of the coin, a photographer charging $100 to a client with certain expectations for their money, yet not being able to deliver on the expected images, would stand to loose at least $100 if brought to small claims court. In addition to negative publicity for their "business venture."

The exchange of money or not does not indicate a absoluation of a responsibility to provide the requested service. "Hey, I'll shoot your wedding for free", but you forgot to put in the memory card... Guess who's going to get in trouble?

The exchange of money or not does not indicate a absoluation of a responsibility to provide the requested service. "Hey, I'll shoot your wedding for free", but you forgot to put in the memory card... Guess who's going to get in trouble?

No one? Because there's no proof of liability.

It went way better than expected! Everyone was happy all around. :)

Congratulations :) I'm glad everything went well for you!!
I just started doing shoots for free for friends and family. My friend from my first shoot shared the pictures with a friend of hers and now she wants to hire me...it scares me!

Edit* And I just read the date on this post...lol! Oops! But I'm still glad it went well!

in 2012, should anyone work for free? no, even if your sweeping a floor for the first time, expect to get paid minimum wage at least.

Here min wage is about 10$ bucks an hour. If you have a bit of experience and your client is ASKING YOU for your services even if you told them you where not an experienced professional, charge them at least min wage. portrait session, 1-2 hours, post processing, preparing the files for delivery, postage if any. of course it worth 50$.

You don't even get a meal for 2 at a restaurant for 50$ Family photos for 50$ ? some people with not alot of money to spend will fit this nicely in their budget.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back