How much time to go to B&H in NYC?

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Will be in NYC in March. Thought I would go to BH photo and think there are lines to see a clerk? I would be interested in a couple of questions about my 7000 and would buy something while I am there.
Nancy

When I went about 2 years ago during thanksgiving I had no problems getting help. I waited at the used department to check out a 17-55. Then I went over to the cases for a new little case for my 7000 and 50. To my surprise there was an associate in every aisle waiting for customers to help. Then that person took you to the end of the aisle where they check for that item in stock. Then you head somewhere to verify. Then cashier. Then pick up. I believe... the operation is crazy cool and well organized. You however don't grab what you want and pay for it.

I would plan on 5 or so days to visit B&H again. But, it's been quite a few years since I was last there.

As mentioned, it is probably like no other store you have ever visited.

Although I live about 150 miles away from NYC, I'm definitely afraid to go to B&H. I'd be worse than kid in a candy store. The result would be I wouldn't live long enough to pay off my credit cards as I'd end up buying far more equipment than I had intended. I have little doubt there's at least one big white lens with my name on it, calling for me to buy it! But I'm still paying down the credit cards for the gripped 5D mark iii and a couple of Ls I bought from them online over a year ago, so those white lenses will have to wait a while longer.

Although I live about 150 miles away from NYC, I'm definitely afraid to go to B&H. I'd be worse than kid in a candy store. The result would be I wouldn't live long enough to pay off my credit cards as I'd end up buying far more equipment than I had intended. I have little doubt there's at least one big white lens with my name on it, calling for me to buy it! But I'm still paying down the credit cards for the gripped 5D mark iii and a couple of Ls I bought from them online over a year ago, so those white lenses will have to wait a while longer.

Couldn't agree more. I drove a truck in mid-town and B&H had the most expensive bathrooms around. Everytime I went in to use them it cost me a couple hundred dollars. They renovated a couple of years ago and now it moves even better.

Have you been there before Nancy? It's massive and overwhelming and can seem chaotic, but it's well-organized, as mentioned. There are a LOT of employees.

Also note that they close on Fridays at 1pm and are closed on Saturday for Shabbat.

They have bowls of free candy.
Mornings Monday through Wednesday are slow for them.
There are probably 70 stations for camera information, more tripod legs than you can imagine and at least 10 of everything.
BH is easily reached by subway to Penn Station and then a block walk to their store.
Here are direction - New York SuperStore - B&H Photo Video

I often go to lunch at Skylight Diner - good hearty grub, not expensive and right across the street and around the corner.
BH is the best organized large store I have ever been in.
Be prepared to check any large bags, there is a check station right inside the door with a pickup just inside the exit door.

7t52.jpg

It probably depends how much money you want to spend. I would have to give myself a very strict time limit or I would be in big trouble.

When I went about 2 years ago during thanksgiving I had no problems getting help. I waited at the used department to check out a 17-55. Then I went over to the cases for a new little case for my 7000 and 50. To my surprise there was an associate in every aisle waiting for customers to help. Then that person took you to the end of the aisle where they check for that item in stock. Then you head somewhere to verify. Then cashier. Then pick up. I believe... the operation is crazy cool and well organized. You however don't grab what you want and pay for it.

Sounds like a bunch of singing, well-coordinated hobbits at that place!

It probably depends how much money you want to spend. I would have to give myself a very strict time limit or I would be in big trouble.

Sure Kit Kat, sure :).

ok, thank you all, especially Lew for great directions AND a place to eat! It probably sounded like a dumb question, but I was only concerned that I might have to spend 'an hour on line" to get to see a clerk!? And then would they be pushy or Next???
Limr, Thank You for the store hours! Very helpful for my scheduling.
Nancy

Here is the link for their hours and the days they are closed. B&H Photo Video Hours of Operation

Be aware, on the day before any holiday or Friday evening, they will close at the posted time.
No lines at the cashiers, no staying open for that last sale.
They will start shooing you out 20 minutes before and, on the dot, they are done.

I don't know where you're from or how much experience you've had with the ultra Orthodox Jews (Haredi Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) but most of the sales people, from their dress, seem to belong to the same branch. At closing times, there is a stream of like-dressed men coming out of the employees entrance. In the store they are sort of New-Yorkers but generally very cordial and pleasant. They schmooze a lot with others when the store is quiet but don't hesitate to break in and ask a question. They are super-professional and knowledgeable.

There is a large room, sort of a semi-exit, after one passes through the exit doors where you can get your packages into bags or unpack your new stuff. I sat there for a few minutes to watch the flow. It is flabbergasting to consider the amount of stuff they process through there every week.
The lighting department alone is the size of a 7/11.

If you have a specific question that can't be answered by the website, post it here and the BH rep will usually find it.

p949289695-5.jpg

Thank you Lew, always the educator. Will read your link. Have been aware of them and their religion but never did any in depth look. Thanks.
My dad grew up in NYC, Wadsworth Ave high rises, no elevators. When he needed some sort of nice clothes, my g'pa would bring my dad, very early, to the street where Jewish tailors worked. The tailors were anxious to get a sale early as it would lead 'to a productive day". I wish I could remember more of my dads early City days :(
Nancy

If you have time, go to the tenement museum on the Lower East Side, great book store and mementos ans really interesting tours through a restored-to-original tenement.
All about the waves of immigrants that passed through NYC.
The street life in the Lower East Side isn't nearly what is was even 20 years ago but a Sunday morning walk combining Chinatown, Columbus Park and the Lower East Side would be fun.
Best to reserve a spot at the Tenement Museum Tours.

Most reactions

Back