How often do you guys upgrade your camera?

I'm a hand-me-down. When my friends get bored of their camera (or computer parts, for that matter) I get it for free or a low price. A lot of people hate using other peoples leftovers, but I find it an oddly satisfying experience.

Speaking of which I've just installed a new video card I brought from a friend, less than half the price on ebay :D

i plan to use my DSLR as long as it will perform it's functions. i'm completely satisfied with my Oly

When I started in photography in high school in '86, my dad gave me his Fujica AX3. I later I wanted something with autofocus, so got a Canon Elan around '97. Somewhere around 2000, I upgraded to an EOS-5 and later got an A2e for a backup body (they are basically the same thing). That's as much as I figured I need for my main film camera. There were higher level pro cameras, but not anything I felt compelled to get. I then got a 10D a few years ago when I went digital. I don't plan on upgrading that anytime soon, as it does everything I want. Down the road, I may get one that has a full-frame sensor.

Through all that, I played around with a bunch of other cameras. None of them I considered upgrades as they weren't my main use camera long-term, but they were all cool to take pictures with.

For film cameras, even though they kept coming out with newer models, it was often hard to justify "upgrading". The EOS-5 came out in '92, and if I hadn't gone digital, I'd still be using it for my main 35mm camera. I'd also be using cameras a lot older than that (I loved my Agfa Clack).

For digital cameras, the tech is moving so fast that the lastest and greatest is more noticably advanced. The trick is to decide what you want and stop there. It's really easy to be tempted to get the next one. When the 20D and then 5D came out, I purposely avoided reading anything about them. Lately I got curious so I did look up the specs. Luckily I don't feel compelled yet.

i'd say i've updated way too many times over the last year... when i got my very first digital camera back in July (i think) in 2005, which was a Vivitar Vivicam something-something (lol), i returned it about 2 weeks later, because i thought it was the cameras fault that the pictures turned out "ugly". lol. This camera also had no optical zoom, so i traded it in for the Pentax Optio 50. 3 months later, i traded it in for a Panasonic DMC-LZ2, which had 3x more optical zoom (6x in total), but was still a stupid and pointless upgrade... its only within the last 3-or-so months now that i've begun to understand how its the photographer who makes the image, not the camera.. and its stupid upgrading from a $200 P&S to a $300 P&S, etc...
Anyways, my last upgrade was about 2 weeks ago.. and that was from the Panasonic DMC-LZ2 to my Olympus E1 with 14-45mm lens. This was obviously the best upgrade i've ever done. I am planning on upgrading again in the future, perhaps to an E2 (or whatever comes out next), but that wont be for ATLEAST 1 year...

I update when I have the cash. If I had a decent job then most likely I would be upgrading as often as I could.

I work primarily in B&W. My cameras [35mm & 6x6cm] and accessories are all at least 25 years old, some much older. As I use a hand-held exposure meter, none of my rigs contain batteries. My enlarger is of the same vintage. The films I use were all available at least 25 years ago, some 50 years ago [eg, Kodak Tri-X]. On reflection, I believe I lost the 'up-grade' urge 20 years ago. I've aquired a couple of Russky rangefinders recently, though these would hardly be called upgrades.

I've always used SLRs, and they don't go out of date. Sure there are improvements in the digital market, but as long as it takes a picture which is equivilent to it's film brother, then there's no reason for it to date.

It's the same as games consoles. You don't wait - buy the one which has the games you want, play and enjoy - it still works! Ok, there are times, like releases, where you may want to hang back for a bit and see what the new model is like, but otherwise, don't worry - you'll be waiting forever otherwise!

Just my $0.02

Rob

One camera is 37 yrs. old, another that I use most of the time is 34. I bought an F4 that was made in 1988, it has auto focus, that I don't use, but I do like the metering. There are a couple of F3's in there that are in their 20's. Not that it matters, but all are Nikon's. I figure that I will be ready for digital with auto everything in about the year 2020 or so. That might be questionable seeing that film WILL always be around. ;)

All my Nikon SLR cameras are over eight years old. Back home I still have a manual Cosina camera that works that I bought used about fifteen years back. I will probabaly use them another five years or so till cheap digital SLRs start giving better output than film. I also bought a D70s last year - I don't know how long before this camera becomes obsolete.

Well I bought my first "real" camera in 1973 and Canon AE-1. I upgraded to a Nikon F5 in 2002 so that is 29 years. ;^D

This is the whole reason I'm not too quick to jump into Digital SLR's as they are kind of like Computers in the 80's. Within a few months there is another better camera out there and within 2 years yours is hopelessly out of date. I'm happy to have a good film scanner and digitize the pictures I want that way and will keep shooting 35mm for the forseeable future.

That being said I am shooting for my enjoyment only. If I was doing this as a business I would assume I would have to continue to upgrade along with everyone else just to stay competitive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back