How often do you use ND filters?

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to buy my first ND filters soon because I want to do some long exposure shooting. I am torn between getting a 10-stop W&B filter or two 4-stop Tiffen ones. I realize the 10-stop will let me shoot in bright daylight, but I have no idea how it'll affect my photos taken during sunrise and sunset? Is getting two 4-stop filters a better idea as I can only use one of them if it's too "dark" or would a 10-stop filter still work when used during/after sunset or in overcast weather?

Thanks!

always when shooting in places where there is alot of sky in the background during daytime. the filter i use the most is a 4 stop hoya prod 1d. most of the time it gives me the ability to shoot at +- f3.2, f4 and get well exposed skys.

almost never. But when I need them, I really need them.

When you do the guzintas on a typical out-door exposure, even in bright sunlight, 10 stops is a lot. I would suggest the 1-2-3 approach. A set of three in one, two, and three stop increments so that you have some flexibility, as you will require varying amounts of ND in different situations.

It really depends on how often you shoot in what kind of lighting.

I use an 8 stop ND filter more than any other, but that's me.

If you're unsure, you can get a relatively inexpensive plate style ND filter setup and get a few to start you out.

A disadvantage to p-style filters are that you can have light flare and other haze enter the shot due to no lens hood.

Best of luck, I hope you find and get what suits you best.

I only really use them when I have high speed film in my camera and am shooting during the day.

The filter doesn't change what you can shoot... it changes your shooting "conditions". For example, a 3-stop ND (ND 0.9 when they "density" values and each ".1" is 1/3 of a stop) is EXACTLY like shooting when the light is 3 stops less (which would be 1/8th as much light.)

It doesn't make daytime shots look like evening... they still look like daytime shots. But if there's less light you can respond by either using a wider aperture or a longer shutter time. Usually it's the longer shutter time that you're after (because you could usually can speed up the shutter to open the aperture.) This means you can slow the shutter enough to show some motion-blur in the images (e.g. traffic moving past, water flowing / fountains, etc.)

I should warn you... you can focus with a 3 stop ND filter. You can even focus with about 5 stops. But at 10 stops it will "appear" to be black when you look through (like the filter isn't really transparent at all.) This means you have to use a technique of putting the camera on the tripod, frame up the scene, focus. THEN... turn off auto-focus and carefully thread on the 10-stop ND filter (without disturbing the camera position or focus) and take the shot. Basically it helps to be in manual mode because you wont be able to trust the camera metering and you certain cannot trust the camera focus.

A "quality" ND filter simply reduces the light equally across all wavelengths of the visible spectrum without favoring any wavelength or creating a color-cast or "tint" to the photo AND it does this equally (no darker/lighter regions in the image.)

Is it possible to shoot at daylight with a 4-stop only?

It really depends on what you want to shoot and what kind of effects you are trying to achieve. If you are shooting waterfall, some like the really silky look, so you need more stops. Some like not-so silky ones, so a 4-stop filter is good. It also depends on the lighting condition.

Sunrise and sunset? I've shot many of these but never had to use ND filter. Do you know how fast the sun is "moving" during rise and set? It's too fast for long exposure. Do HDR instead.

I have a 3 stop filter from B+W, Ken Rockwell claims those are the best.

Since it took me ages to get it, its no longer summer, and I'm quite new to DSLRs, I havent ever used it yet.

When I needed it I used a Polarization Filter instead. Not as strong but was sufficient.

What about variable NB filters? Is a ND2-400 filter basically the same thing as having two 4-stop filters stacked on top of each other or are the disadvantages to it?

I carry both a 3-stop and a 10-stop using the 3 stop handheld in bright day light. I never felt the need for anything else. I am skeptical if the quality of the variable ND filters nor do i want to stack. The variable ND filter are essentially two polarizing filters mounted back to back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back